How to install a fan in a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a guide about how to install a fan for your laptop (Dell Inspiron 2500). So far I could not find it. Could anyone help?

My sincere thanks,

Do you mean replace the current fan, or add a second fan somewhere?

Also, if you're looking to cool it down, several companies make laptop coolers, which are like stands that have small fans that blow over the laptop.

Yes, I mean replacing the current fan.

By the way, could you pls explain what is an "inner fan"? Is it the system fan that lies at the back of your laptop, or is it inside somewhere in your computer?

I don't really know what is meant by "inner fan" besides it's a fan that's inside the laptop's case.

Why are you going to replace the fan? Has it stopped working, started making noise, not cooling effectively?

when I start the computer, it says "Fan error. Press F1 to resume or F2 for setup."

Pressing F1, I could work with the laptop. However, only after a few minutes, I hear the fan operating right away. Then the fan stops, and starts again after another few minutes.

The computer also slows down after some minutes' use. My diagnostics disk says that "The inner fan fails the test." So I guess I should replace the fan.

Yeah, I'd guess the fan's going bad(or possibly the fan controller, if it has one).
I don't know if laptop fans are standard or not.

I think it'd be good to get it fixed soon though, it's cheap to replace a fan, but if you cpu would overheat, then it'd get expensive really fast.

Have you tried taking it apart yet?

You could try cleaning it with some compressed air, perhaps the fan is so full of dust that it has problems spinning?

Otherwise try to find a Service Manual for your laptop, ok, I'll help you ;-)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2500/en/index.htm?c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

And this is it: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2500/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1051903

Here is a new fan that should fit, be sure to check it's serial number with your first though... You should be able to find a FRU number on the fan, use that to search on eBay and you will get the correct fan (FRU=Field Replacable Unit)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-Inspiron-L...ryZ31534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i strongly advise you NOT to attempt opening and repairng said laptop yourself. this will void any warranty and usually ends up costing even more money because the user did something wrong. laptops are tricky to work with and often require special tools to get the job done right. take it to a pc repair shop or another qualified technician.

Yes, I'm sorry I did not say that... I have swapped a mobo on a Dell once and some other minor things like fans and CPU's in laptops... I myself did not find it difficult at all but of course the is a higher possibility of mocking something up...

Small screwdrivers and an antistatic wrist strap are a requirement (like with any other sensitive electrial equipment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back