How to install chassis fan that has no connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I want to install a 12VDC Brushless chassis fan (Model: 273-243)
from radio shack

, but it came without a connector on the end of the 2 wires-they're just bare.

I have an available 3-pin connector on my mobo(asus p4pe-x). Did I get the right fan? If so, how do I install this fan?

if you want to connect it to the mobo directly, you will need to get a 3 pin connector then join the wires to the connector, and the connector to the board. if i remember correctly, pin 1 and 2 should be + and - respectively and the third a control/sensor. but doublecheck that with your motherboard manual. if you want to join it straight to the psu, then you will need to cut and strip one of the cables going to the molex plugs and tap it from there. be sure to not have any wires crossing each other or naked (use electrical tape or heatshrinks to seal tehm up)

fan with connector instead?

Thanks for your prompt reply. Would it be easier for me to get a fan that already has a connector instead?

Just something else to bear in mind -- something that I just learned: If you don't connect the fan to the mobo itself you will lose the ability to monitor it using either Asus Probe or another software mobo monitoring utility. The fan will still work, of course, by splicing it to the psu wires -- you just won't be able to monitor it, is all. It was driving me crazy at first because I figured they ("they" being the chassis fan and the psu fan, both of which showed up as non-existent in Asus Probe) were malfunctioning. But upon further inspection, I realized that they just weren't hooked up to the mobo.

but chasis fans going into the motherboard are not always a requisite to run a pc properly (optional).. however the cpu fan should always be plugged in there (mobo) for safety. i dont have my case fans conected to my motherboard simply because there is only one plug (and i have 5 fans excluding the psu) and it is at a spot where its hard to reach in my case.. especialy when i open it up to do regular maintainance and dusting... i just leave it on the fan line comming from the psu (7v)

besides, i think you need the third wire (thats absent from most fans) to be able to soft control it or get a proper sensor levels... like smart fans..

do what you wish.. get a new fan and refund that from radioshack or get the plug from the electronic shop or splice it into the psu...

Thanks guys

Thanks all for your input. Thanks Skay for the info about pc probe not reading was isn't connected directly to mobo.

I connected my new fan to the available connecter on mobo and it works. pc probe says all is well, but when I boot pc, I get a message that tells me to check hardware monitor in award bios.

I'll check it out later and give you all a more detailed description about this new mishap.

Thanks again guys, you all rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back