How to keep from getting attacked during XP reinstall

By jimflint1
Jan 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How do I keep from getting viruses during a reinstall, when I have to download the critical updates?
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,176

When I install I keep my network connection unplugged.
    I install Windows XP with SP2, anti-virus software and a software firewall (along with my router firewall).

I created my own XP install CD with SP2 already integrated.

You can sometimes download the A/V updates manually (ahead of time) and apply those before you go online.

Here's a cool site that shows you how to create an XP disc with the latest patches applied already:
    http://ryanvm.msfn.org/
  3. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

As long as the Windows Firewall is ON (or 3rd party firewall off a CD),and you only go to the update site,ther shouldn`t be much risk.
  4. jimflint1

jimflint1 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 235

I thank you both. Have a great one.

Shane
  5. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

or you can just install everything like normal and before you start adding more programs/files ghost it on to a cd.... read it somewhere on this forum.. cant remember where
  6. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,176

I always make a drive image before I go online for the first time. Having an image makes the re-install time so much faster. I can re-install a clean OS in less than 2 minutes using Ghost.
  7. jimflint1

jimflint1 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 235

That's one thing I most certainly need to get before the next time I have to reinstall. It's been a pain in the rear, but not because of attacks, but because all the stuff I put in the "oldstuff" file, isn't working when I try to install it (programs and such), like some parameter or another is missing. I guess it's reinstall everything piece by piece in order to get it all to work. Thanks for all your suggestions--I ended up with some spyware, but I think, no viruses.
  8. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

well programs will need to be reinstalled anyways, unless you manage to make a clean registry backup (with no dodgy keys like spy/ad/malwares) then it would work, but you'd still have to setup the shortcuts to each exe....
    my setup here is i got c: for windows system, just windows.. nothing else on it (exept maybe updates and temp files), then d: for apps/programs/games then e: and f: for data and media respectively. that way if i loose windows becaues of some freaky thing i still have everything else, except maybe the install logs and start menu and registry
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.