How to limit internet usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saif

My ISP allows to use 2.5 GB per month for a fixed charge, after that it starts billing. 5 users use the computer, and therefore, the internet usage goes up to around 3.5 GB. It is an ADSL Broadband 256kbps/2mbps connection. Can I limit the usage to 2.5 GB using a software without letting the users know?

yes, there are commercial software up there that limits time and amount of downloads. Offhand, I can't think of names, but I do know they exist.

Why would you not let the users know? The users have to know about the limits! What if one of the users decides to use up that 2.5GB in a week, therefore denying internet access completely for the rest of the month?

Thanks for your reply Nodsu, but if the other users come to know, they might try to disable the limiter, and the problem will still persist.

Hi saif,

you might want to try the free crawler parental control. I had tried the beta version on two computers. It woked fine on the first one, but caused trouble on the second one. I see that the version is not in beta anymore and I also see that they do not recomment using it with zonealarm which could explain why my beta trial on the second computer didn't work well.

Anyways the program allows you to assign a maximum alotment of time for internet usage to each user separately, which should satisfy your need

You could try net limiter, which limits the connection speed, but is still a pretty good solution, they'll soon give up if they have to wait an hour for a 2mb file download:p I believe it also allows one to completely stop downloading, other than normal browsing... Not sure though...

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back