TechSpot

How to make an installer for a website?

By Demiurg
Sep 5, 2002
  1. Anyone here familiar with making installer progs? I would like to make the first year of my website, Watch, downloadable and installable, if possible as a special on September 11, but I haven't the faintest idea on how to do it?

Just a simple in/uninstaller function would be great, making it possible to access the archive for the whole year easily from your harddrive.

Any ideas on programs/tutorials would be very much appreciated.

Here's Watch btw:
    http://medlem.spray.se/watch/

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Nullsoft has a very easy to use tool -> NSIS

3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 536

Hehe Didou that NSIS thingie ... thanx DigitAlex :p

btw u can come grab your WD ...

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for Demiurg and since you're not in #3DSpotlight anymore I can't confirm anything, but if you want me to build a .msi windows installer file for you then I can. I own a legit copy of Wise Package Studio so you could get me the necessary files and give me info about how/what you'd like installed and I can build it for ya. Lemme know!

LNCPapa

5. Demiurg

Demiurg TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 85

Didou> I'll check it out. Thanks.

LNCPapa> Thanks for the offer. I'll contact you via PM. I must clean up some html-stuff and such first. But I'll let you know. ;)

6. Maksimus1200

Maksimus1200 TS Rookie

For creating a single-file setup program that you can upload on your website you can use Actual installer.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

Two issues here;
    1. the webserver software (iis vs apache or anything else)
    2. the website content
    The latter is trivial to capture and/or restore using any archive tool (eg zip).
    Just be careful to understand the difference between WebRoot and DocRoot :)

The former is where the Installer would be necessary.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.