TechSpot

How to make my fans quieter?

By a1nerd
Dec 27, 2004
  1. My computer is very loud and the noise is comming from my fans. I think the powersupply fan is very loud. How can i make this fan run more quietly?

2. berzerk

berzerk TS Rookie

you can't on the psu, unless there is a POT. get a new psu with variable POT.
    for the pc fan, get a bigger one. bigger spin slower but pushes more air :grinthumb

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Hunt around for a replacement for that PSU-fan from fan-makers like Pabst or Zalman. With a bit of careful DIY you should be able to replace that noisy fan. Depending on model, you might need 2 or even 3 fans.
    Most fans are standard size 80, 90 or 120 mm.
    It's propably cheaper and easier to buy a new, quiet PSU with 120mm fan.
    Get at least a 430W PSU from a wellknown brand such as Enermax, Antex. Cost a bit more, but well worth it.

4. bluetracker

bluetracker TS Rookie Posts: 21

Should be noted if you swap out a PSU fan......
    DONT TOUCH ANY OTHER BIT INSIDE THE HOUSING!
    Unless you want curly frizzy hair or intend to audition for an Al Jolson 'look-alike' comp... :eek:
    Them thar capacitors hold quite a jolt even after you've disconnected all sources of power!

5. engel_wolf

engel_wolf TS Rookie Posts: 25

Very true, in fact, I'd call it more then a jolt, they can kill. But if you disconnect the PSU from the wall and let it sit for a few days, the caps should discharge on their own. Even still, do be very careful, I'd recommend wearing rubber gloves.

6. El Presidente

El Presidente TS Rookie Posts: 40

Most Antec power supplies have built in Low Noise technology that can control PSU fan speed as well as the case fan(s) speed in response to case temperature. :grinthumb

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

If you're going to buy a new PSU, you could as well buy a passively cooled one. Naturally, they're more expensive, but hey, at least they're silent, not just quiet.

8. Phicak

Phicak TS Rookie

Noisy fan...

I recently change my processor fan to a new Cooler Master fan. Unfirtunately it still makes a lot of noise when I turn it on (it runs at 100%). I use the program Speed fan to control the speed but I am wondering whether I can permanently change the fan speed so that i doesn't make so much noise...

:D :blush:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.