How to make PSU silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewars

hi guys, i'm newcomer. I have a problem here, maybe this forum can help me.
I have PSU 550W, for some days i use my PC, it runs moderately silent, but now it is very noisy (for me), i think it is louder than my CPU's stock fan.

My PSU is Simbadda (local brand).
i need some suggestions how to make my PSU becomes silent without replacing it with other brand (if it is possible) :( ?

The only other possibility is replacing the fan or fans inside the PSU with quieter ones, like from e.g. Pabst.
Do a Google with quiet fans to see if anything fits and is available in your area.
It would be less hassle, and maybe even cheaper to replace the PSU with a quiet one.

ok, i will try it, hopefully i can get the good one :D thanks a lot.
btw this will be my first time, do i have to know something important about replacing PSU's fan before i do it? what should i do and what i shouldn't do?

it's actually very easy to replace a PSU fan...just take out the screws..unplug the power socket...insert new fan...screw in...plug power socket ...and thats about it....then again..different brands may have different methods..i'm not sure..only thing to remember is switch off the PSU unit...ground yourself by touching anything metal..and just fool around with it.....oh yes...and don't wear socks while working on the carpet....static electricity sux

LipsOfVenom said:
..and just fool around with it.....
lol.. i wouldn't fool around with it if i were you, i would just replace the fan and leave it alone ;) :haha:

replacing your fans may not quiet it down at all, because it may not be the fans that make your PSU noisy, but where they are located, if you buy a new PSU, get one with a "push-pull" fan configuration (fans are lined up parallel to each other and blow the same direction), they tend to be quieter than the standard "bottom in / side out" fan configuration.

also what is refered to as "fan sound" is often not air or wind noise, but case resonance caused by the vibration of the fans, try buying some silcone fan and PSU gaskets, they will help absorb some of the vibrations

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back