TechSpot

How to make registry value read only?

By dimchopicha
May 26, 2008
  1. Hello,

I need help making 2 registry values read-only so a program only read them but cant rewrite them. I have tried via permissions of the key holding the 2 values, but if I give myself only read permissions for the whole key I get 3 strange errors when closing the program which is basically normal, but the problem is the program is crushing when it tries to run on a scheduled basis.
    Tried moving the 2 values out of the key but the program recreated them. The whole thing is the program is buggy and it automatically write these 2 values as "True" representing 2 check boxes on the options menu of the program and I want them to stay "False"

So is there a quick workaround to make only particular registry values in a registry key read-only?

Thanks in advance.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

No, only by permissions, that you have done already.

But you could make them Administrator permission only, and then have the user use a non admin account. Actually, no, then it wouldn't work!

So why can't the value be "True" again?

3. dimchopicha

dimchopicha TS Rookie Topic Starter

I want the values to stay "False" - the check boxes on the options menu to be unchecked.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Why not just block rights to users to access the registry in group policy.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

Furthermore, the User portion of the Registry is imported from NTUSER.dat located in the
    users profile area EVERYTIME the user logs onto the system, ergo that portion must be r/w.

6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually you could write a real small script, (even batch file) that changes the registry to False on either program shutdown, or by system startup
    using a Regedit command line

7. dimchopicha

dimchopicha TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your answers.

I've noticed that if I did not touch the GUI of the program the values are unchanged - "False". So I have set the program to run on a scheduled basis without showing its GUI and I am ok with this for now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.