How to make the second harddrive work together

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashblingbling

i just installed a second 40 gb hard drive in my computer and it shows up it works and everything but i want to know how to make both 40 gb hard drives work together to form like 1 80 gb hard drive

That would be a Raid setup for which configuration you should read your manual.

More than you ever wanted to know about RAID, then just Google the basic 'how to set up RAID' and it's mostly the same with minor variations between motherboards. Your motherboard manual will have info on it's RAID capabilities and setup.

You need a RAID controller... either one is integrated into your motherboard, or you need to buy a seperate card.

If you want to install Windows XP on the RAID volume you need to have a driver diskette ready for when you do the install, as the install program will likely not have the RAID drivers, and unless you supply them the setup will not see the RAID volume.

Also, if you want to use this volume for XP then you also need your controller to have a boot ROM.

Remember also that if you do this (its called creating a RAID 0 stripe set) then you must understand that loosing one disk will mean loosing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back