TechSpot

How to manually reformat a hard drive?

By evanwilson6
Jun 1, 2006
  1. Here's the problem. I have a hard drive that has been completely screwed by Fedora Core 5. My Windows recovery CD no longer boots right and I would like to just completely overhaul my HD. I was told to manually reformat the HD. Could someone please tell me how this is done?

Actually, anything that could just wipe the computer would be great too (besides buying a brand new hard drive).

100GB 5400RPM
    Alienware Sentia m3200

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Do you have a working Fedora CD? Boot that and choose the recovery or emergency mode it gives you. From that command line run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024 count=1024" This will fill the beginning of the hard drive with zeroes, effectively clearing any information that might confuse Windows.

You can also download the utility from dban.sf.net for a more user-friendlt hard drive wiping solution.

3. evanwilson6

evanwilson6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Boot sector move?

Does this mean that I should keep the Fedora boot loader out of the beginning always?

4. evanwilson6

evanwilson6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Oops.

GRUB boot loader*

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

No.. Nothing to do with GRUB. Sometimes Windows gets confused with partition tables created by non-Windows programs.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.