How to manually reformat a hard drive?

By evanwilson6
Jun 1, 2006
  1. Here's the problem. I have a hard drive that has been completely screwed by Fedora Core 5. My Windows recovery CD no longer boots right and I would like to just completely overhaul my HD. I was told to manually reformat the HD. Could someone please tell me how this is done?

Actually, anything that could just wipe the computer would be great too (besides buying a brand new hard drive).

100GB 5400RPM
    Alienware Sentia m3200
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Do you have a working Fedora CD? Boot that and choose the recovery or emergency mode it gives you. From that command line run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024 count=1024" This will fill the beginning of the hard drive with zeroes, effectively clearing any information that might confuse Windows.

You can also download the utility from for a more user-friendlt hard drive wiping solution.
  3. evanwilson6

evanwilson6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Boot sector move?

Does this mean that I should keep the Fedora boot loader out of the beginning always?
  4. evanwilson6

evanwilson6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

GRUB boot loader*
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

No.. Nothing to do with GRUB. Sometimes Windows gets confused with partition tables created by non-Windows programs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.