TechSpot

How to Manually Set Virtual Memory - Guidelines

By suzzie12
Sep 4, 2005
  1. Have Dell 8300 with XP Pro

I run alot of very heavy programs like photoshop, adobe video editing and after effects programs. Have 2.6g P4 with 2 gigs ram.

My machine is very slow recently - before it was responsive.

Cleaned out all virus type stuff - not much found.

Question:

If I were to set my virtual memory size manually - what numbers should I use.
    Someone told me to use 1.5x times the ram size and another told me .5x.

The Dell people told me 2048K.

Is there a way I can make a good intelligent choice - what are the guidelines?

Should I especally defrag the virtual memory area(if you can - seems like I did it with my PD defrag program by enabling a defrag at bootup.

Thanks for any advice.

I have 350 gigs of external hard disk space for video editing - and 50 gigs free of my 120 gig C: drive left.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Read all about it here: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

3. fred37

fred37 TS Rookie

virtual memory

can i set the virtual memory so i can control it instead of the comptuer. I have a compaq presario 5225 i have a 256 mb memory card

4. Cerberus

Cerberus TS Rookie Posts: 57

hmmm

Its generally best to use the option... "system managed size" but if you want to alter it there wont be problems. I recommend 1.5 x the size of your RAM.

5. fred37

fred37 TS Rookie

memory

how do i go about changing it im sort of new at this

6. fred37

fred37 TS Rookie

im using wimdows me i for got to put this in sorry

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.