how to network laptop and desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

my sisters toshiba m50 jus came in n she wants to share the internet.. so i hooked up the router and everything works fine.. question is how do i network the pc n laptop so that she can access mp3s n movies directly from the PC..

can i use the router to do this? or do i have to purchase more hardware n wires etc...?

i remember seeing the computers at my school running in LAN n they can access each others public harddrives..

was wondering since im in a LAN if i can do the same

thanks in advance!

You can connect to the other computer but you will either need a wirless network card(sounds like you might have one already) or a cat 5 cable connected between the laptop and the router. Just runt he network wizard on both computers and it shoudl connect right away, unless you have issues like im having right now! ;)

davis25 said:
unless you have issues like im having right now!

lol what issues are u having? oh yea i dont have wireless cards.. i run them on cat5 cables..

ive tried the network wizzard before with my old IBM T51.. no luck i'll try that with this laptop.. thanks for the tip! i totally forgot bout the networking wizzard lol

network failed on my PC

errmm no luck..

the network wizard failed on my desktop.. but it went fine on the laptop..
i remember turning off services on my pc n one of them were networking stuff.. does neone know? i did turned a buncha stuff off i never used to optimize my PC>. but that was over a year ago.. n now i dont remember :S

can anyone help me fix my networking problem plz?

Well my laptop was working fine, but now it can only see the printer upstairs but no files fromt he comp upstairs. IT worked fine earlier this week, even worse is the fact I can ping it and get response, and the upstairs comp connects to the hsared files on the laptop fine. Its like its just not seeing them for some reason. Im lost!!!

ANyway, make sure network connections and network awareness is on, I also have server on but im not sure if thats needed or not.

hmm i got everything working.. the desktop sees the laptops shared files.. however, the laptop doesnt see nething from the desktop..

i checked everything n i found that computer browse is not started.. and can not be started because of error 1068.. this error apparently depends on workstartion being up on automatic n staretd.. but the thing is i have workstation on and started (this are all in services)

im pretty sure this is the last step to gettin the laptop to see my desktop stuff.. so if neone knows how to fix this.. plzz i beg u!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back