How to Overclock GeForce Fx 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
go to guru3d.com and download one of the geforce tweak utilities (geforce tweak, riva tuner, etc) i have overclocked mine to 301/422 safely. it simply will not go any higher. and it doesnt help at all, in fact it probably hurts it. there is an option to keep your fan on at all times , however.

Search "coolbits" on google and find some info on that. It's a registry change that lets you change your core and memory speeds in the graphics properties box. You can usually oc until you get artifacts, (odd colored jaggies in games), but make sure your card doesn't overheat or it will die.

It might be easier to just dl rivatuner.

horray for coolbits

My brother has a 5200 and i oced for him. I used coolbits. You can find out about coolbits here

Sean

Well the key is to use Coolbits do a test of the settings .Dont overclock the card much . Go to Clock freq.settings you will see this on the left once cool bits is installed move slider to 3D then hit detect optimal settings teh card will detect the setting it can run at .. YOu need to have proper cooling I suggest getting a pci fan and place it on your PCI slot .DO NOT go crazy overclocking this card it can burn up...

Efftastic, people, thank you very much. Cooling will be an issue for me i think because the CPU (see name) already hits 65degC under load, and the box itself hits 40degC+, better look at that.

AMD2800+ said:
Actually i'll go for RivaTuner because i really don't want to touch the registry.

You dont all you do is install it it is that simple ..Than you can unlock the clocks it is a really good program...

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does overclocking your video card do and why would you want to do that? Just curious...

Well overclocking makes your graphics card run faster. It's like getting a little graphics upgrade for free, but it can fry the card if it gets too hot and it also voids the warranty.

I have downloaded the rivatuner utility as mentioned above, will that help me as described to not overheat and with the proper settings? Thanks...

With the CoolBit thing am I right to presume that the card won't over heat if you select detect optimum settings? It's an option available in the more recent nVidia drivers.

ok i have oc'ed my card to 306/424 with coolbits 2.0 from guru3d.com...... like i said i don't think it'll help and it seems to slow it down....but with all this talk i'll try it out again ;)

vnf4ultra said:
Run a benchmark before and after you oc. Aquamark 3 is what I use.
here's my 2 cents about aquamark: first option in aquamark: 11,200 (approx) with oc, 10,987 w/o. is it worth oc'ing?

Yeah, that isn't much improvement, less than 1fps. But getting over 10000 for a 5200 is good. I think many are below 10000. On my 6600gt, ocing from 500, 1000 to 564, 1160 only increased my fps by 3fps. So I went back to stock, it's fast enough stock anyway.

Aquamark is a good program that is what I got 39574 with and I only tweak a little bit thats a great score or a sockt "A"..To answer your question overclocking is to increase frame rate sometimes it helps but if you dont get over 10% it is not worth it..

What are your 3DMark2001 scores though?

Isn't Aquamark for more high-end systems? That's the good thing about 3DMark, because it has 3 different versions.

Gary King said:

Isn't Aquamark for more high-end systems? That's the good thing about 3DMark, because it has 3 different versions.

if, by versions, you mean 3 tests, aquamark has 3 different types of tests..... i was pleased with the program. i didnt really like 3dmark03 never tried 01

Gary King said:

both are good programs my 03 score is on my sig it a good score for a socket "A" for a 333fsb CPU oc a little I jsut have a very good video card a fx 5800 ultra they dont make any more ..Have not ran 01 in a long time

I had mine VC of FORSA GeForce FX 5200 and it is capable clock in 310/475 but i decrease it to 305/455 due to heat generation from VC stock fan. I prefer to keep it in stock of 250/400. I used TaiwanTech PowerStrip v3.14... a very nice third-party utility!

Lucan

P.S. 3DMARK2001 SE Professional Score = 12,503 :ekkk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back