How to Repair Corrupt USB Mass Storage or CD/DVD Drivers

LookinAround

[CENTER]How to Repair Corrupt USB Mass Storage or CD/DVD Drivers
[/CENTER]
For some unknown reason, I've been seeing cases where USB Mass Storage or CD/DVD driver files go missing. This corrupts the respective driver.
  • USB Mass Storage Driver - used for external USB storage devices like flash drives, hard disks, and USB CD/DVD drives.
  • CD/DVD Driver - used for CD/DVD players. If you have a USB CD/DVD note that Windows installs the USB Mass Storage driver first. Only after the Mass Storage driver is installed and working correctly, Windows installs the CD/DVD driver. If it's an internal CD/DVD drive Windows only installs the CD/DVD driver for it
When driver files are missing, the driver is corrupt and can't be installed. Device Manager will have an entry with a yellow icon - indicating a device error. The device may be listed under "Other Devices" or other places in Device Manager.

Right click the device ->Properties->General tab. If error is because no driver could be found, you'll see device status code= 28

The following instructions apply to Windows Vista and higher.
It will be easier to follow instructions if you can easily see Windows file extensions
> Click Control Panel->Folder Options->View
> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK

USB Mass Storage Driver
These 3 files should exist (or the driver is corrupt)
  • C:\Windows\inf\usbstor.inf
  • C:\Windows\inf\usbstor.pnf
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys
If one or more of these files are missing
  1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  2. Scroll down. Find the folder name that starts with usbstor.inf_
  3. You may see more then one folder with name starting usbstor.inf_. IF YOU DO: you want the folder with the most recent date
  4. Open the folder. There's a copy of the 3 files you need. Copy each one to its correct location as shown above
  5. Jump to the instructions below to delete the INFCACHE.1 file
CD/DVD Driver
These 3 files should exist (or the driver is corrupt)
  • C:\Windows\inf\cdrom.inf
  • C:\Windows\inf\cdrom.pnf
  • C:\Windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
If one or more of these files are missing
  1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  2. Scroll down. Find the folder name that starts with cdrom.inf_
  3. You may see more then one folder with name starting cdrom.inf_. IF YOU DO: you want the folder with the most recent date
  4. Open the folder. There's a copy of the 3 files you need. Copy each one to its correct location as shown above
  5. Jump to the instructions below to delete the INFCACHE.1 file
Delete the INFCACHE.1 file
  1. See Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7, 8 or Vista. (I recommend the easiest way to do this: use the Take Ownership.zip file they provide to update the registry for you)
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore
  3. Right click INFCACHE.1 Select "Take Ownership" in the context menu
  4. Delete INFCACHE.1. Reboot your computer
Windows will rebuild the INFCACHE.1 file and (hopefully <fingers crossed>) be able to find and install the device driver for you! :)

Last edited:
Your article is very good except for one thing. You did not tell novices like me where the 3 files are located where you said USB Mass Storage Driver. I found 4 files under the driver tab in properties of the device. None were of the 3 you indicated, I never found a way to delete them there much less how to paste the correct files to the driver; therefore, I was unable to correct the problem I have been dealing with for about 6 hours and now I'm more frustrated than ever.

Thanks Sir, 1 week searchin how to fix my Problem and Finally its Done... I follow all the steps and adding only 1 step by using MicrosoftFixit.Devices.Run_2. after reboot. its help to reinstall my drivers and DONE!! I can use my USB Flash Drive now....

If the above doesn't work, then try opening computer management (just type it into your search box) and look under storage. You may well see your disk listed there but without a drive letter. Right click on the disk and choose assign drive letter. Give it a name (D: or Z: - whatever) and you should then see it in Explorer again.

Th three files exist would that mean that the usb mass storage driver is not corrupt?I am not able to see the driver when I dbl click computer.when I unplug from mass storage and restart I am able to see but neither open nor format.What can I do?.I am having windows 7 ultimate and mass staorage is Mxtor III
Sivaraman

I've followed all the instructions and managed to find the 3 drivers...the bit I don't get is here:
  1. Open the folder. There's a copy of the 3 files you need. Copy each one to its correct location as shown above. What is the correct location? I don't get this part?
  2. Next question - I can't find INFCACHE.1 when completing step 2 of Delete the INFCACHE.1 file on my computer. Nothing comes up at all...

Back