How to reset XP activation to install on second PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honourableprawn

Hey guys, before anybody has a pop at me for Piracy, I've had the Official XP upgrade for a while now, however I went out and bought an OEM version of the full OS too.
What I'd like to know is, is there any way in which I can reset the activation on the upgrade to install on my wifes PC?:)
I upgraded mine then took off the upgrade and bought the full version, now I want to reuse the old upgrade again, but don't know who to contact to re-activate or reset the activation.

Any help would be appreciated, I can guarantee this is a legitimate enquiry and can provide product codes if there's any doubt......

Cheers,

The Prawn:grinthumb

I know I had some serious problems when I tried to install XP pro upgrade. So I ened up calling M$ and asking them, and of course they were no help, but I did happen to ask them what do I do if I need to install this on a new machine, or if I format and want to reinstall. They replied that I would just need to call them back and tell them what happened, and they will terminate your old account, so you aren't just saying that you are formatting or something, and letting a friend use it. So I say give them a call, and go from there:)

thanks......

Gentlemen, I thank you, or more accurately, my wife does.......but not in that way.

Thanks for the help,

Maybe the microsoft support has something going for it after all.

the Prawn:grinthumb

As I understanding it, you have the 30 day grace period. What the "activation feature" keys on is NIC cards ( thinking your adding XP to another machine.) But if a phone call is required, you can always convince them you upgraded or changed platforms

My understanding from the Microsoft forum was this. If you install XP on a computer, it now belongs to that computer, if you sell the computer to me, the copy of windows goes with me. They also said that if you change componants regularly, you may have to reactivate it. It looks at 9 different areas on the computer. the NIC card being at the top of the list. If you change your video card let say 12 times, they said to expect to call and reactivate

L :haha: L
I just thought it was funny that you posted to a thread that was over a month old, but thanks for that extra information. :)

Originally posted by poertner_1274
L :haha: L
I just thought it was funny that you posted to a thread that was over a month old, but thanks for that extra information. :)

Hehe well thats a funny story, I just noticed tonight while I was posting that some groups have more than one page, so I started reading the other pages, I was wondering why some post subjects where disapearing, they where just going to page 2 and so on, wasn't til I looked at it when I came home from work and noticed the date and time on another post someone ansered. Man do I look dumb......sorry about that gang, will try to remember to read the date next time I answer....Can I say DUHHH. ;)

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Man do I look dumb......sorry about that gang, will try to remember to read the date next time I answer....Can I say DUHHH. ;)
Its not a problem to resurrect old posts if you have something else to contribute. So you didn't look dumb.
Another time its cool to resurrect an old thread is when its in Meeting Spot and its a relatively pointless thread. i.e. While we are waiting for Godot... . That post is a Classic from the old forums.

Didn't want to sound too harsh, but just making a point. But SN is right, sometimes it doesnt' hurt to bring up an old one.

Keep up the good work Boeingfixer!!!!

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Didn't want to sound too harsh, but just making a point. But SN is right, sometimes it doesnt' hurt to bring up an old one.

Keep up the good work Boeingfixer!!!!

Then thanks to the both of you for the comment. I appriciate it. I try to answer to the best of my ability. And I didn't take it as being to harsh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back