TechSpot

How to reuse your old hard drive

By learninmypc
Dec 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Cool vid. I just open mine up to get at the magnets. They are strong enough (especially in old drives I've found) to hang some pretty heavy things on your fridge.

Also, in the vid she said the platters are aluminum or ceramic... I had a hd fail spectacularly once and it ran all weekend with the head grinding on a platter, when I opened it up the metal coating on the platter was scraped away for the last inch and the platter was glass.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,302   +238

I guess I need to find the tools to get into one of my old ones, sounds like fun.:D

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Worst case, drill out the screws.

learninmypc likes this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

The magnets and the chimes seem the most practicable ones for a less accomplished do-it-yourselfer.

5. learninmypc

Its got me too interested now. :)

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Nice to know I'm not the only one, to use those magnets on the fridge. I have fun telling people to pull the magnets off the fridge, without sliding it off the edge. It is funny watching them try without breaking a fingernail. hahaha

If you don't have any old hard drives to dismantle, maybe you have hundreds of old wrenches.

Wrench Sculpture
    [​IMG]

learninmypc likes this.
  7. learninmypc

Ok, I have a Maxtor Harddrive with star shaped type screws. I tried uploading a pic of it, but it said it was too big.
    I just want to see what kind of magnets are inside in any.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

9. learninmypc

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.