How to reuse your old hard drive

Cool vid. I just open mine up to get at the magnets. They are strong enough (especially in old drives I've found) to hang some pretty heavy things on your fridge.

Also, in the vid she said the platters are aluminum or ceramic... I had a hd fail spectacularly once and it ran all weekend with the head grinding on a platter, when I opened it up the metal coating on the platter was scraped away for the last inch and the platter was glass.

The magnets and the chimes seem the most practicable ones for a less accomplished do-it-yourselfer.

Cool vid. I just open mine up to get at the magnets. They are strong enough (especially in old drives I've found) to hang some pretty heavy things on your fridge.
Nice to know I'm not the only one, to use those magnets on the fridge. I have fun telling people to pull the magnets off the fridge, without sliding it off the edge. It is funny watching them try without breaking a fingernail. hahaha

If you don't have any old hard drives to dismantle, maybe you have hundreds of old wrenches.

Wrench Sculpture
1133506d1386692515-wrench-sculpture-wrenchsculptures5.jpg

Ok, I have a Maxtor Harddrive with star shaped type screws. I tried uploading a pic of it, but it said it was too big.
I just want to see what kind of magnets are inside in any.

Back