How to run a USB wireless adapter and a router together ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hello...
Im tearing my hair out - any help you can give would be much appreciated..

Here's the setup:-
I have a computer situated upstairs in a bedroom that has a Router attached (no broadband connected) which is then connected to a Linn Digital Streamer, Linn Pre-Amplifer and a networked attached storage device, so that they can all talk together...
All was working fine, until i installed broadband downstairs, and i am now using a USB wireless adapter plugged into the computer upstairs to access the internet etc...
It seems now i can only use the USB wireless adapter OR the router connections, by disabling the other connection.
So how do i get the both working together??

Also when it all works, will the router and the 3 items be able to access the internet through the USB adapter??
If not / or is there an easier solution? Someway to plug broadband (wirelessly) into the back of the router maybe??

Thanks for any help...
RustyZip

P.S. im using windows XP.

Hi Tipstir..

Installed software then plugged it in.. Couldnt get it to work via its own software, so im using Windows XP's own wireless connection software

In "Network Connections" the wireless network connection and router are listed under the LAN or High Speed Internet Type, and when broadband is working (but not the router) an "Internet Gateway" is showing as connected.
As soon as i connect / enable the router connection (in "Network Connections") the "Internet Gateway" dissapears and i lose broadband.. :(

Cheers...

You are using SP3 correct? Do not use Windows Wireless Connection. Disable that feature is services. Use the tool that comes with the USB adapter to mange the wireless. If that still doesn't work then their is an issue with the device itself, or it's driver on the USB controller drivers on your system is corrupted. To fix that issue you need to go into the device manager and uninstall the USB drivers. Upon a reboot Windows will rebuild the USB drivers. You could try that. If the issue is still present then the device is faulty. Try a different USB port for a last try attempt.

I'll attempt to give us a map of the layout; if wrong please correct our understanding so that the answers will apply to what you are attempting to do

Code:
(BroadBand)...wiFi connection ... USB---systemB---Router ->Linn Digital Streamer, Linn Pre-Amplifer
For a start, the ICS is necessary to get traffice to flow from the Broadband thru to your router,
but delete that connection for now so we can get the flow correct.

Start with your router disconnected and make the USB connect to the internet.
Now reconnect the router and make sure that the router WAN address is 192.168.0.2
as the ICS will require 192.168.0.1 and the 0.2 address will be in the correct subnet.

Now enable ICS and share the USB internet connection with the new router at 192.168.0.2

Sounds like there is an issue with the Master Browser meaning which PC is set to the main and the rest on secondary. The OP can force the system in question to be seen by the router under XP.

Under Services.msc
Make sure Browsing is set to Auto/Enabled (only one system on the network should have this set to auto)
Make sure Network Connections is set to Auto/Enabled
SSD Auto/Enabled
UPnP Auto/Enabled
Under My Network Places there is link called Show UPnP enable that. Once you do you'll install some features that will invoke the main DHCP router in question to have it's own icon on your system in the system tray.
Under My Computer mapped shares from the other PC system to this system with the wireless USB adapter.

Now if you don't want to do all of this on your XP system another way is to enable IPV6 along with IPV4 which is what XP is running. What OS are you running on the system. Are you running 7?

the master browser is necessary for print/file sharing, but it too relies upon basic tcp connectivity and route, which are at the moment failing.

you can have internet access w/o the master browser.

Thanks to you both for trying to help me out..

Right, ive installed the proper software, and managed to get the USB adapter working. Although i did notice it was saying at some stage that it couldnt acquire a network address, and said that i would have no or limited connectivity, though it seems to working ok for now (albeit slightly slower).
Before when i went through windows own wireless connection wizard it wouldnt get a network address, failed then abruptly connected!! (taking a good minute for the full cycle)
Tried to access my NAS and it says "an error occurred trying to re-connect to L:" - the local device name is already used. The connection has not been restored.

This things driving me mad.... :evil:

get the USB connection to access the Internet and then add the router connection

I'll attempt to give us a map of the layout; if wrong please correct our understanding so that the answers will apply to what you are attempting to do

Code:
(BroadBand)...wiFi connection ... USB---systemB---Router ->Linn Digital Streamer, Linn Pre-Amplifer

Yep, thats right, but also a nas connected to the router too.

Start with your router disconnected and make the USB connect to the internet.
Now reconnect the router and make sure that the router WAN address is 192.168.0.2
as the ICS will require 192.168.0.1 and the 0.2 address will be in the correct subnet.

Now enable ICS and share the USB internet connection with the new router at 192.168.0.2

Errm, can you guide me through how to do that please? sorry im not that computer-literate - thanks...

Dont know whether its relevant, but in "my computer" it says the NAS (drive L) is "disconnected network drive", while in Network connections it says its connection is enabled...

Sounds like there is an issue with the Master Browser meaning which PC is set to the main and the rest on secondary. The OP can force the system in question to be seen by the router under XP.

Under Services.msc
Make sure Browsing is set to Auto/Enabled (only one system on the network should have this set to auto)
SSD Auto/Enabled
UPnP Auto/Enabled
Under My Network Places there is link called Show UPnP enable that. Once you do you'll install some features that will invoke the main DHCP router in question to have it's own icon on your system in the system tray.
Under My Computer mapped shares from the other PC system to this system with the wireless USB adapter.

Now if you don't want to do all of this on your XP system another way is to enable IPV6 along with IPV4 which is what XP is running. What OS are you running on the system. Are you running 7?

Sorry, but thats completely gobbledegook to me - any chance in laymans terms please?? :)

And im running XP...

unnecessary :)

Click My Computer
find the L: drive
delete that connection

The system should have good WiFi connectivity.

Now we'll get the router connected with will enable everything else ....

Sorry, but thats completely gobbledegook to me - any chance in laymans terms please?? :)

And im running XP...

Click on start
click on run (if you don't see run) press flag icon key and [R] keys at the sametime
type: services.msc
Scroll down the list and follow what was posted for services.msc

The issue is with XP and wireless connection.
Lets do this uninstall the driver for your wireless USB adapter. Leave it connected to the PC and now reboot the system. Once you sign in to XP the driver should be re-installed by XP if not? Then install the driver off the CD or latest one from the internet sit who makes the adapter.

Make sure you have disable any prior wireless adapter that is built-in on your system in question if such a device is present.

unnecessary :)

Click My Computer
find the L: drive
delete that connection

The system should have good WiFi connectivity.

Now we'll get the router connected with will enable everything else ....

I couldnt see anywhere to "delete L", but if you meant disconnect L then ok, ive now done that...

Under Services.msc
SSD Auto/Enabled
UPnP Auto/Enabled

Ok - done up to "show UPnP" - but cant find the link... Any clues??

Ok - done up to "show UPnP" - but cant find the link... Any clues??

Look at this link
http://www.techtut.com/showimage.php?image=42/6.jpg

The image shows you what you're suppose to see under XP (My Network Places)

Show icons for network UPnP devices Do you see this link? If not then something is not enabled. SSD under services needs to be enabled and set to Auto. Make sure you start it also along with UPnP. Once that is done along with the prior post settings. Then you should see the link. Once this link is found and engaged then the installation process will begin. Soon after that your system should show you that it found the Router so and so!

Look at this link

Show icons for network UPnP devices Do you see this link? If not then something is not enabled. SSD under services needs to be enabled and set to Auto. Make sure you start it also along with UPnP. Once that is done along with the prior post settings. Then you should see the link. Once this link is found and engaged then the installation process will begin. Soon after that your system should show you that it found the Router so and so!

Nope i dont have that link: under betwork taks i only have "create a new connection", "set-up a home or small office network", and "change windows firewall settings",,,,,

Somebody mentioned that i cant have installed SP2 - but im 99% sure i did... Anyway i can easily tell??

Thanks tipstir & jobeard for your patience and advice - really appreciated....

ahhaa - just right clicked my compter and it says

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edirion
2002 version
Service pack 3

Look at this link

does SSD = SSDP discovery service?? If so then ive popped it on Auto

does UPnP = universal plug and play device host?? If so ive popped it on Auto

But that link still isnt there.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back