How to set multiple user storage capacity limits on ext USB HD?

By PFJ
Jan 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

how does one go about setting the storage capacity limit allocations for several individual users on an external USB (250GB) HD that can be accesss through a network?

Regards

PFJ
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Is this connected to a server or just a standalone NAS device?
  3. PFJ

PFJ TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 132

Hi JMMD,

I intend adding it to the server. It's a Maxtor PS3100 USB drive. The server is a HP Netserver E800. I expect there will be about five users/clients.

Regards

PFJ
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,292   +282

you need to have it formated as NTFS and not FAT, as it does not support
    the quota feature. The default for most thumbdrives is FAT to allow multiple
    OS system access.

BE CAUTIOUS! Win/XP has a nightmare correctly sizing USB external drives.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Well, we are only assuming Windows here..

From software point of view, it doesn't matter if the HD is internal or external. You set the quotas just like on any normal hard drive.
  6. PFJ

PFJ TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 132

thanks guys,

the key word was 'quotas' as you mentioned. Once I knew the lingo I was able to get informed. The benefits of the NTFS is now clear and I can understand where you are coming from. It also appears that there is software out there that can help with the task of allotting quota and other cool stuff.

Regards

PFJ
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.