How to transfer drive with operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to transfer a hard disk drive from an old slow laptop with Windows 2000 installed on it to a reciently purchased (but used) Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop. I thought that once it was installed, it would boot up fine. I have been told that the reason that it does not is because all the dsrivers are different. Is this true?

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of changing these drivers so that it will work on my Dell Laptop?

I am hoping that I can use this hard disk drive and not have to go purchase Windows for my used Dell laptop that came without an operating system installed.

Which drivers are needed? Or is it the boot portion that needs changing? When powering up, what is happening wrong. I would like to understand this better.

Thanks guys.

Did you use Ghost software to transfer from one drive to the other? If not, you may need to use something like Norton Ghost.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Windows 2000 CD. The older slower laptop that has Windows 2000 on it's hard disk drive did not come with the CD. Is there any other way of changing the drivers without using a Windows CD?

I was hoping one of you bright guys or gals might know how to do this.

if I were you I would have downloaded a cd already or got me one from somebody else. saying that I assume that you have a license key sticker on the bottom side of your laptop, else you need to buy a license and a cd.
anyway the repair might work but I would suggest a fresh install. repaired windows installs are known to get unstable after a while (well even a fresh windows does that, I know *lol*).

Sorry, should've read your original post correctly the first time. I thought you were replacing your hard drive in your original computer. From my understanding, when you install Windows on an original system, it registers it with the onboard CPU as well as the hard drive. So if you put that hard drive in a new system, windows won't recognize that new system and will give you the errors. So, even if you tried to re-install windows from the cd, if you had it, you would need to register that new system with windows, which you can't register 2 computers with 1 windows installation cd unless you paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back