How To: troubleshoot laptop HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just got new HD to use with External Enclosure, but it doesn't work, previouse one 10G is working OK, just plug and play. The new one is 40G Toshiba MK6021GAS, produce some spinning, LED are ON, but PC can not see it. Maybe any jumbers ? Or ???
Please help if any ideas how to diagnose it.

Best
Dai

"can not see it" means what?
All new hard drives have to be partitioned and formatted.

Maybe the enclosure doesn't support large hard drives (over 32GB)? I suppose there is no size limit jumper on the 2.5" drive. You should check the support of your enclosure maker.

It could also be that the 40GB drive draws too much power and your USB port cannot support it (that is if you have an USB enclosure that is powered from the port).

Thanks, Nodsu
Sorry, I made mistake it's 60G drive.
I don't have info about enclosure specs, it's just generic, yes it's taking power from USB, there is one more extra plug for power, that I have to use while connecting it to laptop.

When I plug in 60G it takes much longe time (15 vs 2-3 sec) to get green LED on enclosure comparing with 10G.

I have to wait for adapter to check it inside laptop.

Thanks a bunch.

Dai

Maybe that is the problem? The hard drive takes too long to spin up and Windows gives up detecting it. Can you arrange it somehow that the hard drive has already started up before Windows detects it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back