How to turn off warbling temperature alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I turned off my computer when a temperature alarm started and let it cool over night and thought it would reset by itself. When I tried to restart the computer the alarm sounded again with no way to stop or reset it.

I recently changed the CPU from 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz to improve frame rates for Flight Simulator 2004 and assumed the alarm was due to over temperature due to the higher power consumed by the 3.2GHz CPU; however I can't find a a list of alarm sounds and their associated functions - so I can't be sure temperature is the cause of the alarm.

I was not surprised when a overtemp alarm went off about an hour or so after the first start up with the new CPU. I shut down the computer and after not too long a time restarted it (the alarm having reset somehow?) without the cover assuming that would provide sufficient cooling. That worked for 6 to 8 hours. With that amount of time having passed I assumed having the cover off solved the problem. The new alarm surprised me and seems to be different.

I did a search but probably because I found nothing I did not describe my problem properly.

Thanks,

Russ

hi russ73 and welcome to TechSpot :)

by "alarm" are you referring to a repeating sequence of beeps?, if so then your motherboard manual should have a list of beep codes and what the mean. are you able to enter your BIOS?

if it's an actual constant alarm sound, then it sounds like it may be an overheating CPU. when you replaced the CPU,
  1. if you re-used the old heatsink/fan from your 2.4GHz CPU:
    • are you sure it can sufficiently cool the 3.2GHz CPU?
    • did you thoroughly clean the old thermal compound/paste from the CPU?
    • did you thoroughly clean the old thermal compound/paste from the heatsink?
    • did you apply new thermal compound/paste to the CPU before mounting the heatsink?
    • did you remember to plug the CPU fan in? (I know it seems obvious but it's easy to overlook if you're in a hurry ;))
    -or-
  2. if you installed a new heatsink/fan:
    • did it come with thermal paste or a thermal pad on it?
    • did you remember to remove any protective film before mounting?
    • did you remember to plug the CPU fan in? (again ;))

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back