How was the first to come out with tabbed web browsing?

Jskid

Which browser was the first to come out with tabbed browsing? According to Wikipedia

After the defeat of Navigator by Internet Explorer, Netscape
open-sourced their browser code, and entrusted it to the newly formed
non-profit Mozilla Foundation—a primarily community-driven project to
create a successor to Netscape. Development continued for several
years with little widespread adoption until a stripped-down
browser-only version of the full suite was created, which included
features, such as tabbed browsing and a separate search bar, both that
had previously only appeared in Opera.

So that makes it sound like Opera but I'm surprised Opera never became more popular.

Opera was a leader in browser innovations, actually. Everyone was on FF, then jumped to Chrome. It's sad, really.

Opera was a leader in browser innovations, actually. Everyone was on FF, then jumped to Chrome. It's sad, really.
It is sad, it seems like the spotlight has never been on Opera thought they are the ones coming up with the ideas in the first place.

I couldn't say who came out with what.

I'm currently giving Opera support, I hope they continue to do so with the engine change over. I've yet to try the new Opera, I'm giving them time to refine a bit, before jumping in.

I have been using Opera as my main browser, along with IE and Firefox as subordinates. And of the three, it was indeed Opera that introduced tabs first. And also Speed Dialing.

As to why it isn't more popular, probably because it doesn't support as many add-ons as Firefox. But discerning users have long identified Opera as a fast and safe browser. And the elite are by definition few. ;)

P.S. The topic title should read: "Who was..." not "How was..."

Back