How was the first to come out with tabbed web browsing?

By Jskid
Aug 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Which browser was the first to come out with tabbed browsing? According to Wikipedia

So that makes it sound like Opera but I'm surprised Opera never became more popular.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,273   +280

No consequence to me :grin:
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,383   +607

Opera was a leader in browser innovations, actually. Everyone was on FF, then jumped to Chrome. It's sad, really.
  4. Jskid

Jskid TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 428

Why no consequence?
  5. Jskid

Jskid TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 428

It is sad, it seems like the spotlight has never been on Opera thought they are the ones coming up with the ideas in the first place.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,746   +1,421

I couldn't say who came out with what.

I'm currently giving Opera support, I hope they continue to do so with the engine change over. I've yet to try the new Opera, I'm giving them time to refine a bit, before jumping in.
  7. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

I have been using Opera as my main browser, along with IE and Firefox as subordinates. And of the three, it was indeed Opera that introduced tabs first. And also Speed Dialing.

As to why it isn't more popular, probably because it doesn't support as many add-ons as Firefox. But discerning users have long identified Opera as a fast and safe browser. And the elite are by definition few. ;)

P.S. The topic title should read: "Who was..." not "How was..."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.