Howdy, all y'all

By lensman
Nov 6, 2007
  1. Hi all y'all (*)

I've been building computers since 1973 (S-100 bus and Seattle DOS, anyone?). Programming since 1974, Favorite programming language: SAIL, from the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. It was a combination of LISP, C, and assembler for the DEC-10.

I started using the arpanet when it was possible to memorize the entire (50-ish entires) Arpanet host table.

I was a professor of biochemistry from 1985 to 1997, a pharmaceutical researcher from 97 to 05, and was disabled in 05. I still do a lot of database and algorithm design.

I don't engage in "my OS/Editor/mobo/blah are better than yours" becuase I use whatever will use get the job done in a reasonable time. IBM 360/370, DEC-10, -11, -15, various Vaxen, Sun, Mac, PCs, Nova General (dropped 4k core on my foot, broke my toe. 4K core was ~80 pounds). All sorts of SIMD and MIMD machines, Crays (mostly), and so on.

I have severe lung disease and heart problems, so nowadays I'm mostly fixing hardware (component, not board-level [**]) to keep things going.

More than all y'all wanted to know, right?

(*) "All Y'all" is the collective plural of "y'all", for those not from Texas
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

3. harved2

harved2 TS Rookie

Hey! Welcome!
  4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

Hello, lensman, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

That's a pretty interesting story you have there :) If only there was enough room for all that in out User Profile boxes :D

I hope you enjoy it here on our friendly forums :)
  5. garreg_ddu

garreg_ddu TS Member Posts: 19

Who has been reading Asimov then?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.