TechSpot

Howto repair your windows boot issues through recovery console, the expert way.

By xero
Jan 13, 2006
  1. Most people will run into boot problems eventually when they install wrong drivers, get caught by destructive spyware (like the driver evan64.sys) or because of other reasons (faulty services).

I haven't seen a post related to advanced recovery console troubleshooting so this is why i am posting this thread.
    And ofcourse i want to win the 7800 GT video card :) You will see some more posts which will help you recovering/tuning your system soon.

First you must know how to implement the recovery console when harm has not been done yet. I have read this somewhere else on the forum but i will repeat it so that you dont have to look it up in another thread.

- go into windows and insert the windows 2000/Xp CD/MSDN DVD which contains windows 2000/Xp
    - open a command console (dos window) "through start->run->cmd.exe<enter>"
    - in the new command window go to the drive letter of your cdrom i.e. "i:<enter>"
    - go to the windows 2000/XP I386 directory through "cd directory\i386<enter>
    - type winnt32 /cmdcons

IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING TO INSTALL THIS RECOVERY CONSOLE BEFORE HARM HAS BEEN DONE!!!

If harm already has been done, bootup from the windows cd and select repair windows 2000/XP. Next you select manual repair. Finally you select "repair using recovery console".

The recovery console will be started and you will be promped for the input of the windows which you want to repair. Select the correct windows and following this you provide your LOCAL system administrator password which you used during
    install.

When recovery console is started the command prompt will reside in your windows directory i.e. C:\windows

A help of the recovery console window can be shown with the "help<enter>" command.

As you can see the provided commands are limited. Some of the commands are interesting though for repair of your windows installation.

If you haven't been able to start windows because of the following message

"NTLDR could not be found." Your fix might be just the command "fixboot<enter>". Try it and afterwards you reboot the pc
    by using the command "exit<enter>". When the pc boots again your problem might be solved.

"Blue screen during bootup or hang during bootup". This is a more sophisticated issue but probably related to drivers and/or faulty services. With the command listsvc you can enumerate all the drivers and services which are loaded on startup. Write down all the drivers and services which have state "service system" or state "service boot".

"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" Probably your SCSI drivers and/or IDE drivers are faulty. Use the fast repair option in windows 2000 setup by booting from the windows cd. Press F6 on boot of the cd to specify your scsi drivers.

Write them down exactly with the name you see on the screen, you will need the exact service names later on.

Now compare them to the following lists, eliminate the ones you dont see on the list by using the command

"disable "service name"<enter>" NOTE THAT THE QUOTES AROUND THE SERVICE NAME ARE ONLY NEEDED WHEN THERE ARE SPACES
    IN THE SERVICE NAME.

Here comes the list of default services (ms known) for windows NT based computers (like XP and 2000):
    REMEMBER: Disable anything which you cant find in this list.

Beep
    KSecDD
    Null
    Fastfat
    Fs_Rec
    EventLog
    Modem
    Parallel
    Scsiprnt
    Serial
    Cdfs
    Npfs
    Ntfs
    Cdaudio
    Diskperf
    Simbad
    Kbdclass
    i8042prt
    EE16
    NDIS
    NetBIOS
    NetDDE
    Mup
    Rdr
    Srv
    LanmanWorkstation
    Parport
    PCIDump
    PlugPlay
    Mouclass
    Busmouse
    Inport
    Sermouse
    NetBT
    Tcpip
    Abiosdsk
    Floppy
    Sfloppy
    NetLogon
    Cdrom
    Disk
    Scsiscan
    Aha154x
    Aha174x
    aic78xx
    Always
    ami0nt
    amsint
    Arrow
    atapi
    BusLogic
    Cpqarray
    dac960nt
    dce376nt
    DptScsi
    dtc329x
    Fd16_700
    Fd7000ex
    Fd8xx
    mitsumi
    mkecr5xx
    Ncr53c9x
    Ncrc700
    Ncrc710
    ncrc810
    Oliscsi
    Ql10wnt
    slcd32
    Sparrow
    Spock
    T128
    T13B
    tmv1
    Ultra124
    Ultra14f
    Ultra24f
    Wd33c93
    Spooler
    Pcmcia
    Afd
    DHCP
    Ati
    Cirrus
    Dell_DGX
    Et400
    Jazzg30
    Jazzg364
    Jzvxl484
    mga
    mga_mil
    ncr77c22
    psidisp
    qv
    s3
    tga
    v7vram
    VgaSave
    wd90c24a
    wdvga
    weitekp9
    Xga
    VgaStart
    VgaSave

Some interesting articles concerning this type of repairs can be found at the microsoft information sites;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654 (for XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/proddocs/srvgs/sgsappa.mspx (All)

Never change a winning team! When it isnt broke, dont fix it.

Running IBM Xseries 225 SMP 3.06 GHz 4GB Chipkill (tm) IBM memory. Raid 5 x 73GB hotswaps scsi. 2x 200GB IDE.
    Plextor DVDRW Philips DVDRW
    Radeon 9800XT overclocked to 460MHz
    Windows 2003 Enterprise with VMWARE (My Mediacenter). Media center rules.
    Favorite game: Online Microsoft Halo (=73=Nucleus)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.