HP 751n PC from hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamut0o1

Hello; I have a very strange problem with my Pavilion 751n PC. I think I have tried almost everything to get it to work. The problem with this PC is that it wont let me install XP at all. I ordered the original CD's; I have replaced the hard drive; RAM; and I have removed all components from PC as well. I also reflashed my BIOS ; the only BIOS i found in the HP web site is from 2002. Everytime I tried to insall the OS it freezes right when the xp logo is showing when booting....Can any1 tell me what else can I possibly tried to fix this? I have spent so much time in this and I just dont wanna give up yet.

help me out ;
thanks!

All memory is the same?
Check cables and connectors.
Can you reformat the hard drive with the existing equipment and memory?

All memory is the same?
Check cables and connectors.
Can you reformat the hard drive with the existing equipment and memory?

I changed cables and I also try with memory from another working PC.
I'm able to re-format and it also copies all the system files from the XP CD. When the machine re-boots to install OS it freezes. I see the windows XP logo and freezes right there.
I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas.

thanks

This PC is from about 2002, right?

You say you have original install disks? This is for WinXP-home perhaps?

It could have an nVidia or SIS chipset. Just a guess, you could have the install disk for the wrong chipset.

Alternative suggestion - you need to press F6 right at the beginning of the install from CD process, and load the correct chipset drivers before the OS install continues. This is fairly typical, as after the first reboot, Windows is still in VGA mode, then it switches into the correct video mode which uses the specific drivers for the chipset. At this point, they are either not there, or for the wrong chipset. Result - either a black screen or a lockup.

Here is a link which offers further links that might be useful http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...9447627+1251571860791+28353475&threadId=32998

I should also warn you that if you do get XP running, it will be SP1 or possibly SP2. If it is SP2, you will find auto-updating from MS update site will try to install SP3. There can be huge problems around that, for which there are solutions, but you should extensively research it first. May I recommend you get a 'drive image' package, and take a working copy of your OS before any further updating.

This PC is from about 2002, right?

You say you have original install disks? This is for WinXP-home perhaps?

It could have an nVidia or SIS chipset. Just a guess, you could have the install disk for the wrong chipset.

Alternative suggestion - you need to press F6 right at the beginning of the install from CD process, and load the correct chipset drivers before the OS install continues. This is fairly typical, as after the first reboot, Windows is still in VGA mode, then it switches into the correct video mode which uses the specific drivers for the chipset. At this point, they are either not there, or for the wrong chipset. Result - either a black screen or a lockup.

Here is a link which offers further links that might be useful http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...9447627+1251571860791+28353475&threadId=32998

I should also warn you that if you do get XP running, it will be SP1 or possibly SP2. If it is SP2, you will find auto-updating from MS update site will try to install SP3. There can be huge problems around that, for which there are solutions, but you should extensively research it first. May I recommend you get a 'drive image' package, and take a working copy of your OS before any further updating.

I will try that and let you know. so your saying boot from xp cd but use f6 to change this settings...what setting should I change it to?
also I dont remember seeing an f6 menu when i put in the recovery cds.. i have seen that only if i use a retail xp cd...i will check it again.

thanks!

Just a thought... I know you said you replaced your HDD, so I don't think it's defective, but are you using the Quick format option in XP's install? If you are, try using the regular one (not quick... ?).
You could also try finding a nice killdisk bootCD and get it to wipe the HDD to hell and back, and then try loading XP.
The whole idea with these suggestions is that maybe there's some sort of weird file allocation error on the drive, or possible bad/corrupted sector that isn't getting corrected when you use the quick format option in an XP install.

Also, what gbhall said is a good idea. If your install CD is using the wrong chipset driver, it could really mess things up.

Another thought: Have you tried using a generic XP install CD? (Like the ones that you would buy in a store... not OEM.) Sometimes HP does some seriously f***ed up stuff with their install CDs. (Like including weird and incorrect or screwy chipset drivers.)

Just a thought... I know you said you replaced your HDD, so I don't think it's defective, but are you using the Quick format option in XP's install? If you are, try using the regular one (not quick... ?).
You could also try finding a nice killdisk bootCD and get it to wipe the HDD to hell and back, and then try loading XP.
The whole idea with these suggestions is that maybe there's some sort of weird file allocation error on the drive, or possible bad/corrupted sector that isn't getting corrected when you use the quick format option in an XP install.

Also, what gbhall said is a good idea. If your install CD is using the wrong chipset driver, it could really mess things up.

Another thought: Have you tried using a generic XP install CD? (Like the ones that you would buy in a store... not OEM.) Sometimes HP does some seriously f***ed up stuff with their install CDs. (Like including weird and incorrect or screwy chipset drivers.)

I tried kill disk and also had tried low level format. Im dowloading right now the chipset driver; but the problem I see is that the PC ask me for a floopy and the driver is 18MB how can I make this work? unless I only need like a ini file for the driver?

Thank you all for your help;

I tried kill disk and also had tried low level format. Im dowloading right now the chipset driver; but the problem I see is that the PC ask me for a floopy and the driver is 18MB how can I make this work? unless I only need like a ini file for the driver?

Thank you all for your help;

I was downloading the wrong driver...the PC asked me for a txtsetup.oem file. I have no idea where to get that for the sis650....Do you think if I get a new motherboard it will eliminate this problem? I'm out of luck on this one.

=/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back