HP All-in-One, can't install software

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick carntowan

I have an HP C3180 All-in-One printer/scanner/copier. It used to work fine following a crash I needed a new hard drive and XP Home install. I re-connected the 3180 and have been using it as a printer, relying on XP's plug-and-play.
I now want to use the scanner again but pressing the "Start scan/reprints" button does not trigger the application. I have attempted installing all HP's bloated software from the CD and even downloading the latest version from HP's site. After about 20 minutes it displays "Device setup failed to complete" with a big, red cross on the diagram displayed over the USB cable. Icons are shown on the desktop but HP Director won't open and HP Image Zone won't connect to the scanner either. But it's working as a printer so the cable seems to be connected OK. Any ideas what I can do next?
By the way, I don't really want all HP's image-processing software, they just don't give you a choice!

I'm not sure, but;

If you have the power on the printer and go to Control Panel and double left-click the Printers/Scanners icon the printer should show. Right click it.

Any scan option(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back