HP announces a 27-inch 5K display alongside six other monitors

By Scorpus
Jan 5, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. At CES 2015, HP has announced a whopping seven monitors, including a brand new flagship 27-inch model with a monster 5K (5120 x 2880) resolution that matches the latest Retina iMac.

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Wow, I would love a 5120 x 2880 resolution monitor for work. Assuming I could read the small text of course.
    Axle Greese likes this.
  3. Axle Greese

Axle Greese TS Enthusiast Posts: 30

As someone who likes to play 3D first person shooters with maximum details and high FPS on a large monitor, one day soon I'd like to say goodbye and good riddance to all the anti-aliasing kludges ever invented.

Edit: I think nvidia, amd and every game developer would like that, too.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. CaptainTom

CaptainTom TS Booster Posts: 153   +61

It's really stupid this doesn't allow for the use of ONE DP 1.3. AMD's next cards will undoubtedly support it and be out within half a year.
  5. TheLastPanda

TheLastPanda TS Member Posts: 78   +10

The screens are rapidly outpacing relevant content to put on them.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Naturally everything starts at a source and moves in the direction of a destination. How could you consider a monitor as a source? There is an age old expression about putting the cart before the horse.
  7. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

Remember though refresh rates (redraw to be correct on lcd) are something you need to talk note of aswell. If these screens are 60hz then you don't want to waste your money and a high chance I bet they are. I reckon it will be atleast 5 years before we see 4K or greater with 120Hz or higher appearing on the market. At the moment there is no single GPU that can comfortably handle 4K @ 60Hz (even sli struggles), we are a long way off 120Hz, 144Hz or even by then 200Hz.

On a side note Acer have announced a 2K 144Hz 27" IPS Panel which though lower resolution is in a way a better screen then all of these.
    Axle Greese likes this.
  8. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

Well it's not stupid at all because

a) it was only just released at the back end of last year and hasn't yet received full certification so chances are hard manufacturers won't include it on current hardware.

b) why do you need it, the monitor can display its refresh rates and resolutions on the supplied display port. Increasing this to a new version just overkill and pointless.

c) I reckon it will be atleast 12 months before any gpu manufacturer are adding dp 1.3 to cards. All the cards are currently way to slow to push the required frame data so again 1.3 is overkill. It would be like increasing the speed of a motorway to 500mph but only allowing cars on their that can't exceed 50.