HP-Compaq 9010 stand-by issue

bwarren97

My parents gave me a, uh, "new" laptop a few months ago. It had recently belonged to my dad, so they wiped its memory so that I could use it (I really wish they hadn't wiped the entire memory, because it had some really nice settings for some of its features).
Anyway, now it doesn't seem to like going into Stand-By mode for some reason. However, I was able to send it into Hibernate for a while, but that stopped working, too. Basically, it freezes when I try to put it into either of those states, so I'm forced to shut it completely off every time.

Have there been other cases of this happening?
How does this happen?
How do I fix it?

Thanks, in advance.

Go to HP's website, find your exact model, and update everything that they have for this system.

New info

I have some new information on the problems with Stand-By and Hibernate.

When I press the Stand-By button, then immediately shut the lid, it goes to Stand-By with no troubles. However, when it resumes, it does nothing; the LCD backlight doesn't even turn on.
With Hibernate, I do the same thing, but it doesn't finish preparing for hibernation. I open the lid, and see only three or four bars on the progress bar. However, the disk-usage indicator stays lit.

Can ANYONE help me?

Back