HP Compaq Monitor

learninmypc

A friend gave me an XP computer for myself but I when I turn it on, the monitor says "Monitor going to sleep".Capture.JPG
The image is the buttons on the side of the monitor. Its Model # Q1859 . I managed to get it to the desktop, but then the screen goes blank before I can get the CD slot open to reformat/reinstall the OS.
I'm still trying & will update this thread if needed. :)

Well, I got the CD in & restarted it,pressed enter to boot from CD & just waiting as it makes funny sounds.

Ok, an update. After numerous attempts at trying to get to the desktop to see if I could change the power options, I pulled my old XP out of the closet to find the monitor works fine, I just can't get to the power options on the one my friend gave me before the screen goes black.
All I simply want to do is reinstall the OS & get it updated. I did try putting the OS CD in & it told me to push any key to start which I did, but still nothing or I'm too impatient.

"EDIT" Clarification. A few weeks ago this friend told me her hubby had attempted to reinstall the OS but for reasons I don't know, it didn't work. That could be why it got to the desk top but went black. Hmmm I don't know. She did give me add the CD's & stuff that came with it. :)

Last edited:
Well, I gave up on the HP last night due to exhaustion. This morning I tried booting it up into safe mode by tapping the F8 key but nothing. Also nothing booting it up normally.
I was simply going to use it for music only offline. Hmmm :) Any ideas on how to boot it up?

It should post even if not booting in to windows. So with this said . I have and Ideal the mainboard might be bad.

Originally it was going to the desktop for about 45 seconds or so & then going black. I was unable to check the power Options to see if they were off. As of right now, nothing.
I booted it up & nothing. No flicker,no sign of life on the screen. I have the monitor hooked up to my old XP Pro . I may try later on to see if it has life, otherwise ....................................??

I don't think if it did boot changing the power options will help. This is not a windows problem. Its more like a hardware problem.

If their both retail computers. Their more and likely 250 watts or 300 watts. Even maybe a tad lower. You should be able to swap them out.

What brand is the other computer? Plus make sure to check and see if the hooups for the power supply are. The same on each board

Back