TechSpot

hp dvd writer 630c drive not recognized

By marxiavelli
Jun 26, 2005
  1. I am trying to install a hewlitt packard 630c drive into a 1.9 ghz pentium 4 machine with windows xp. The device shows up in the bios and the device manager; but when i try and install the firmware update from the hp site it says that there are no recognizable hp drives on this computer.

There is also a second drive on the computer experiencing similar problems, it is a samsung cd-rom sc-148-f. Both drives are not recognized under my computer but can be accessed from the device manager.

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

can you be more specific on the type of computer said drives are being installed on? a word of advice: hp=oem=trouble. your firmware upgrades were probably written oem-style and may not work for apparently no reason at all.

3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

W2k & XP can have issues recognizing different Rom's .If your bios recognizes the drives correctly and you have confirmed Master/Slave configuration.
    I would first Uninstall these drives in device manager and reboot .This will force Windows to re-install the drives. Then try your Firmware update.
    Just a note if you are using Nero or other authoring type software , Make sure you turn off Windows writing software.Also make sure you do not have conflicts with these programs if more than one is installed.Nero has a program Infotool, confirm that your drives are recognized in the software

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.