HP keyboard shortcuts

By JesseM
Jan 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone, I'm new to these keyboards with special buttons to open web browsers and play music and such. I just got a new computer, and I feel really stupid asking for help with this, but I can't figure out how to get these buttons to work and how to configure them! Any help would be appreciated.
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 989   +6

I don;t think you could configure them as you wish.
    In my school right now, the hp's keyboard are also a multimedia keyboard (lot of buttons above) and i can sort of configure it in the control panel...
  3. JesseM

JesseM TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 258

Alright, well I guess my main problem is that the buttons do not work. Once I can get them to work I'll worry about configuring them! Thank you for trying to help though.
  4. JesseM

OK now I got it to work! All I needed was to download a driver manually from HP, pssh... But now I have a new problem.

The media controls (play, pause, previous, next, etc.) only work when iTunes or WMP are in the foreground. I am wondering if anyone knows how to get around this so I can change songs and stuff when I am playing a game or something like that. Is there some kind of 3rd party program that lets you do that?
  5. zipperman

zipperman Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,423   +7

Included software

These types of keyboards should include a cd installation to make it
    programable.Did you get one ?
    Thats how my Logitech works.
  6. JesseM

No it didn't come with any CD. Everything on the computer was pretty much pre-installed. I figured out how to configure the buttons and stuff but the media controls only work when iTunes or WMP are in the forground. Is there any way i can control them even when they are in the background?
  7. zipperman

It might be installed

What name is the keyboard ? Browse through Start menu/Programs for a folder by that name,or the HP folders.
    It should contain the utility to program your keyboard.
    If not,try HP Utilty downloads or the kbd maker.
    I presume you mean keys like My Home,Search,Volume and audio player controls.
    Thats what my Logitech has.
  8. JesseM

No, sorry I mean the media controls like to play, skip, pause, and stop music playing on a media player. I already know how to customize the internet and e-mail keys. Thanks for your help though!
  9. zipperman

Look again

Thats what i said,
    Volume and audio (media)player controls.
    I have Stop,Play,Pause,Mute and volume.
    But not unless i install the software from Logitech that came with my kbd,
    As a seperate upgrade purchase.
    What else do you mean then ?
  10. JesseM

Well I got all the buttons to work, but they do not do anything when WMP or iTunes are in the background or minimized like if I was playing a game. There probably isn't any way of making them work with the media players in the background or minimized but I was just wondering.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.