HP Pavilion-Display errors-Dead Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpticalOrange99

Hey.

I've had a HP Pavilion for 4 years now. Its got like 512MB of Ram a 2.53Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor and a Radeon 9000 series graphics card (not sure if its intergrated or not. All I know is it's ****).

Anyways I cant get the complete specs from the directx diagnostic thing because of the following problem.

For the last 3 years everytime I leave it without power for over a week itll freeze on OS loadup or programs will act all funny if I do get XP to load. Its usually the time which is at like 2999 AD or 1903AD or something ridiculous. One time it was at like the 49th of decemeber or something. A friend told me its a dead battery or something. I wish I'd gotten it fixed all that time ago so I wouldnt have the current problem which is as follows.

Usually changing the date back to normal fixed the aforementioned problems. But this one is in a world of its own. We left it without power for 5 weeks and it refused to turn on. The LED light would just be on and we couldnt get it to do anything. We left it for another 6 weeks thinking it was a gonner.

Then I fiddled with the power cable while turning it on. It burst back to life like someone waking out of a coma. The Loading LEd started flashing. The power light beside the chord at the back switched on. I then pulled the power cable out again and firmly secured it back in. The computer turned on and went through its loading sequence but froze.

Eventually with enough times of pulling the cable out and putting it back in the computer had its sound back. It would turn on and off perfectly. I could even hear it clicking desktop icons as I moved the mouse. But one last problem that messing with the power chord didnt solve. There is nothing displayed on the monitor! :O I could do without the sound but without visuals its worthless.

So what do I do? Have any of you ever heard of a PC acting like this before? I sure havent, although I dont know much about PCs. What I do know is the monitor is perfect its just not receiving anything from the PC tower. Anyone know how to solve this? I really like the HP and Im now reduced to using a Gateway Windows 98 :'( which would make anyone cry.

Yep. I think you should replace Power Supply. Probably it is too old to continue. Best bet is go out and buy 300W for your HP. I'm not entire sure if it still covered warranty but it is best bet to take your HP back to staples or future shop to have it fixed for a price.

Try swapping PSU and find out. if it didnt work, try add video card in PCI. and yes, ATI 9000 Series is integrated.

Its not the power supply that's playing up, its your bios battery!!!!

You will need a new cr2032 battery which is cheap and can be found in many shops!!!!

Just a case of hook the old one out then fit the new one then set your bois correctly, that should fix your problem without the expense of a not needed psu!!!!

Thanks guys. Im taking it to an electrician which can fix it up tomorrow morning. Ill get him to check the PSU and the battery and replace both of them if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back