HP printer driver just won't turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

madboyv1

so, I have one of those HP all in ones, with that infamous hpzipm12.exe file taking up 100% processing power, disappearing for a second or two, and then repeat. I've tried disabling it in manage --> services, bu that doesn't really work. Disabling it in msconfig sometimes works, but rarely. It'll even start up after awhile after startup (35 min -2 hours) even if the printer is off.

So anyone else have a good idea to stop this pesky program/driver set?

I'd get rid of it entirely, but I do use the scanner to create PDF documents, so I kinda need it... =/

You could check that you have the latest driver set - or the HP on-line helpdesk can be quite useful sometimes. This is almost certainly down to the drivers and management software.

HPZipm12.exe (Hewlett-Packard): HP PML Driver Service.
"Background task installed by the drivers for a variety of HP printers, this task handles non‑printing related two-way communications between the PC and the HP printer. Typically, on DeskJet and InkJet printers it will handle status-type communications such as ink levels, paper‑empty conditions, etc..., and will feed that information back to an HP icon in the System Tray."

"Because of its role as, effectively, a printer status information gathering task, this task should be left running since, without it, you will not get useful information from the System Tray HP icon for your printer which will think the printer is disconnected. If you experience problems with this task, first ensure that your firewall allows this task to communicate."

"Next, if you still have problems, see on our Drivers page if there are newer drivers for your printers which might correct the problem. If problems still remain after the above then disable this task on the Startups tab. Then locate it on the Services tab and set to Disabled."

From http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_h.htm

For Driver information, see the referenced site.

HP all-in ones puts more processes on a system than any other peripheral I've ever had! I shut them all down other than what I need for the 3 functions. I don't need information gathering to call home to HP and tell them how much ink I've used! One of their processes reports to a Unix system in San Diego! Even HP couldn't' tell me what that was about!

feh, their online customer help center and live technician was worthless, telling me to do stuff I already had tried. their last try was to tell me to disable it in MSconfig. I already knew this worked for the most part, but I kept on telling him I wanted a real fix, not a work around.

I'd kill for some 3rd party drivers that allows my printer to do JUST what I need it to do, and nothing else.

There may not be just a fix, not a workaround. As noted, HP loads systems with entries, all running but many unnecessary. You'll have to disable what you can then go with the flow for the others.

Ans a far as being referred to msconfig, the users that ask for help do not all have the same level of knowledge. While you may know right off that stopping processed through msconfig, someone else may not have even been to it, so we try to include a range of knowledge in our help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back