HP profits drop 44 percent, CEO pleads for patience

By Leeky
Feb 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Veteran Silicon Valley executive Meg Whitman pleaded for patience yesterday as she revealed that HP’s first fiscal quarterly earnings (PDF) had dropped 44% due to a decline in sales across three…

Read the whole story
  2. Quit selling crap printers, quit taking short cuts on the print drivers, and then maybe I will consider buying them again.
  3. How about HP takes a page from Asus on how they offer a better warrenty and build better systems and they wouldnt have this problem. Bottom line it'll be a good day in the tech world when this big fish finally dies......
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,885   +643

I dunno about that, Means Dell will be top then, would you really prefer Dell to be number one over HP?
    Personally I agree though, Asus do make some quality products, even if you get a cheap Asus that feels all plastic, it still seems to survive the test of time.
  5. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

i was a long time loyal HP customer for a LONG TIME... but not anymore..... i wonder why
  6. You folks really arent getting the picture...HP doesnt care about their printers/desktops/notebooks....its the enterprise hardware that is their meat and potatoes. Then, it comes along with integration services, installation services, education services which all cost money. With Intel holding off on the new Sandy Bridge chipsets, HP's bottom line got really destroyed by their inability to refresh their server line. Further to that, as most HP storage products have been built on their proliant architecture...they could not really refresh their base line storage (ie...LeftHand, MSA, NAS appliances, De-dup, blade storage, etc) furthering their inability to get this out there.

While the whole PC/Notebook spin off fiasco didnt help them, to think it is nothing more than a crappy print driver (ironically written by Canon in most cases now) or low quality PC's (which is the consumer's fault honestly in demanding lower cost and then getting pissy when the quality doesn't match) or even the Palm fiasco didn't help, there is much more to this than anyone here really understands that has posted so far.

Couple all of this in with the shift from being a hardware/service provider to (egad, thanks Leo for automony!) a software/service provider and then back to hardware again....well I would personally call past fiscal year a complete write off and not a view into what is to come.

So to all you stock holders driving the cost down further...please do so more...I want more HP stock at rock bottom. With 3PAR, Gen8 server hardware, Envy's re-emergence, Tippingpoint, structured and unstructured data management software, 3COM and some other new bits and pieces...those stocks will almost certainly rebound in a big way this next 2 years.
  7. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Guru Posts: 346   +26

How about building better desktops for one.

Has anybody ever seen the inside of an HP computer? Messy wiring job all over the place and budget components.