TechSpot

HP quietly launches budget-minded 8-inch Android tablet

By Shawn Knight
Mar 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. HP has quietly launched a new low-cost 8-inch tablet simply known as the HP 8. Unlike many of the other 8-inch slates we've seen as of late, HP's latest is powered by Android (4.2.2 Jelly Bean) instead of Windows 8.1...

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,514   +503

I don't see myself buying an android tablet anytime soon, have one and can't seem to get rid of it!

It was fun the first couple months, now it's a dust collector.

Mike Steele likes this.
  3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Just bought my old lady a Kindle Fire HD 7" for a $140 shipped.
    8GB (4.17GB free with nothing installed), 1200 X 800 IPS (advanced polarizing filter w/ anti-glare technology), 1.5GHz Dual-Core CPU, 1GB RAM, and USB Micro-B.
    She loves it and the Kindle OS/Silk Browser have come a long way, this thing is quite snappy.

A 7"-8" Android tablet with a measly 1GB RAM and 1024 X 768 resolution like the HP mentioned in this article should be $80 and not a penny more.

4. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

How about donating it to charity?

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +135

The old HP tablets, with WebOS... were terrible. I'm going to be wary of any tablets from HP, but keeping an open mind.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

I'd check just to make sure you're allowed to call "the missus", "old lady", while publishing it on the interweb.

It could go sideways real quick, and you could wind up having to buy her an iPad. (Yuck).

amstech likes this.
  7. Kibaruk

I'm waiting for one of the small ones to finish disassembling theirs :p

8. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

But by that stage they will not be happy with an out of date hand me down tablet.

9. Kibaruk

Android got to a point that buying the latest and fastest is utterly unnecesary.