HP R3000XR UPS Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maradms4

Hi!

Could anyone please point me in the right direction for setting one of these up. I mean, from the basic 'plugging in' of the computers etc all the way to the software management. Do I plug the computers straight into it,or do I use an extension with several comps plugged in then plug that into the UPS? I am a reletive UPS virgin!

Please help!

Read the friendly manual?

It is pretty straightforward - just plug all the stuff in and it Just Works. Use extensions or plain cables, whartever. The most complicated thing about UPSes is to learn what all the lights and symbols on the front panel mean :p

I wouldn't bother with the UPS software.. It will just tell you what the current load is and alerts you when the UPS activates. If you are in the same room with the UPS, then you know all this anyway.

Superb info, I have no manual though! I have been asked to use the software,but I have a manual on that.So its easy then? I have it currebtly connected to 5 servers, I will need to power those down first, plug those in a normal socket and move the UPS.Plug all the 'new' servers into the UPS after powering those down. Then turn it on and bingo yeah?

Is it ok to use the 4 way extension socket things we have?

Cheers big time!

If you have a closed server room with noone around to hear the UPS screaming "power outage", then you should install the UPS software to receive alerts via the network (assuming your networking devices are connected to the UPS too :p ) and optionally power down the servers when the UPS batteries are running out.

Every server should have its own receptacle on the UPS or at least you should divide your servers between the load segments in the UPS (the sockets are grouped). What kind of cabling you use to get the power from the UPS to the server doesn't matter.

I am installing only network equipment into the UPS (switches/routers etc) At the moment the equipment is all plugged into the racks 8 way socket which is hard wired into an electrical point. Do I need to plug the switches/routers into the UPS seperatly in the different load segments, or wire a plug onto the 8 way socket and plug that into the ups ONLY?

CHEERS!!

I'd think plugging 8 switches into one load segment is OK. Routers is another matter though. More advanced ones are almost full-blown servers and can consume a lot of power.

I would put the 8-way socket to one of the load segments and run another 4-way (or more) to the other load segment. Then just distribute the stuff in the rack between the two.

The company I work for has two of the HP R3000 XR UPS devices. We actually had an electrician come out and verify that everything was okay with our setup.

Each R3000 XR is rated at 30A and has six outlets, which are divided into three circuits by pair vertically. Each circuit is rated at 15A. The electrician said that you should not exceed 80% of the rating, though you are theoretically safe up to the maximum rating. This means that you should avoid anything over a total of 12A on each circuit. We had approximately six devices (servers, a robotic tape library, server rack fans, rack monitor, etc... mostly servers) plugged into two of the circuits on each UPS, with one circuit on each going unused. The UPS' were drawing 15A and 13.3A, respectively, on their 30A dedicated circuits. That is well under their rating and also well under the maxed advised draw of 24A.

It is reasonable to assume that you can split the draw per UPS in half (since there are six devices in each circuit), by circuit to determine the load per circuit. On UPS A, the draw per circuit is ~7.5A, and on UPS B, the draw per circuit is ~6.65A. Again the maximum recommended per circuit is 12A, therefore six devices per circuit is perfectly acceptable and leaves room for fluctuation, improper division, and some expansion.

In any case, it is highly advisable to split devices evenly as possible among all available UPS' and the circuits on the UPS'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back