HP sues Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Hewlett-Packard has filed a patent suit against Gateway, the suit alleges that Gateway infringed certain HP patents and has refused to properly compensate. Although monetary figures have not been specified yet, HP seeks compensation for past patent infringements and a structure for compensation going forward.

The suit centers on six patents related to PCs, including a patent on 1-inch notebook computers and power management. But the lawsuit could be expanded to cover more, because HP has about 6,000 patents related to PCs, according to an HP representative. The company has about 21,000 patents worldwide.

Gateway's been in a world of hurt lately. You think HP's trying to drive the last nail in the coffin?

Originally posted by Masque
Gateway's been in a world of hurt lately. You think HP's trying to drive the last nail in the coffin?

I totally agree.. and I thin HP is driving in that last nail :dead:

I call it stupidity on HP's part. Most patents in existance are stupid and the only thing worse is that they get approved.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
I call it stupidity on HP's part. Most patents in existance are stupid and the only thing worse is that they get approved.

True, but what's smarter is one company with a fair amount of money getting the other company with lower resources to spend it on legal fees.

It's not smart, it's cowardly. That's how Creative got Aureal out of business & how nVidia did with 3dfx & in both cases the company that felt it needed to defend its case in court bought all the leftover assets from the defunct opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back