HP system restore disks won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

i've got an HP pavilion 774e with a new hard drive and bought the system restore disks. Got some kind of hardware trouble. The restore disks won't work. There's 8 of them and I installed them. But then it wouldn't work. at the end it formats the disk and starts to copy files onto the user partion and then it reboots. so it never copies all the files. ever. Just keeps rebooting. Sometimes I get an error that says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Other times it reboots with no error.

Call HP and let them know. This will not be the first time they have mixed them up. or shipped a defective set.
You can be sure HP wants to know, and will refund your money.
What you report sounds like a driver error... or a hardware error... so you might want to give that some thought...

Well, I'm leaing towards a hardware trouble. I tried an XP disk that I had and I can't install that either. I get a blue screen that says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with that too.

80 percent of the time, that error message relates to a driver error somewhere... usually in the video graphics driver... or a defective optical drive... perhaps your Optical (CD or DVD drive) is failing... They only last about a year. Try replacing the drive temporarily and see what you get.

well, I put a temporary CD drive in there, and there's probably nothing I can do with the video card. The restore disks should put the driver on there for me. I'm afraid if I go out and buy another video card the restore disks will have a different driver than the one that's in there and it may not work.

i've got an HP pavilion 774e with a new hard drive and bought the system restore disks.

A few thoughts of other things that may or may not apply (but you should consider)
  • What's the "new" hard drive? What was the old hard drive? You sure the new drive is OK? and it's a valid replacement for the old hard drive for your computer?
  • Are you aware there are two different model HP pavillion 774e's? D7218P vs D7218Q. I don't know the difference between the two but, if you haven't checked yet, check the HD and disks you have match the specific model you have
  • Did you buy these disks from HP or from a 3rd party (e.g. on the cheap from someone's website?)
  • Have you disconnected every other device from your computer before attempting recovery (e.g. USB devices, memory sticks, etc.)

A few thoughts of other things that may or may not apply (but you should consider)
What's the "new" hard drive? What was the old hard drive? You sure the new drive is OK? and it's a valid replacement for the old hard drive for your computer?
Are you aware there are two different model HP pavillion 774e's? D7218P vs D7218Q. I don't know the difference between the two but, if you haven't checked yet, check the HD and disks you have match the specific model you have
Did you buy these disks from HP or from a 3rd party (e.g. on the cheap from someone's website?)
Have you disconnected every other device from your computer before attempting recovery (e.g. USB devices, memory sticks, etc.)

------
The old drive is an 80gig Samsung, and the new drive is a 160gig WD. Yes there are two different 774e's and there's a sticker on the back that tells which one. I bought the restore disks from the HP website.
I disconnected most everything... bought a new AGP video card to replace the AGP one that was in there, changed the battery, unplugged the floppy, no USB devices are plugged in, unplugged on ram stick and tried the other - then vice-versa and tried installing windows without success each time, then plugged both ram sticks in and ran MEMTEST86+ and got no error. unplugged the CD rom drives and tried a different one. Not much left to unplug. The CPU temp runs from 37celcius to about 43 celcius. There are no beep codes when it boots up. BTW the samsung HDD is now dead, and I tried formatting the new Western Digital using my own Windows xp pro disk and it still blue screens. I don't even get to the point where it can format the drive. As soon as it tries to delete previous partitions it blue screens with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL . I also have a 30 gig western digital that works on a different computer and that was no better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back