TechSpot

Hp system restore help

By DevonMK
Jan 5, 2008
  1. I am looking to do a destructive system restore on my computer. I seem to have a big problem with a trojan on my computer that I got off limewire, it has infected system 32 and when i start the computer, it sends hundreds of windows at me, so it is near impossible to do anything before start up.
    I have the disks in order to do the restore and I heard that if you press F1 key at the start up screen it will bring you to the BIOS but it doesn't seem to be working, and if I hold F11, it will bring me to a black screen.
    I needed to know a possible solution before bringing it to an expert or having to get rid of the entire thing.

Please help.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Try hitting F2, then DEL, you need to set the system to boot from the CD

3. DevonMK

DevonMK TS Rookie Topic Starter

at the startup screen while it's loading?

4. DevonMK

ok i got to the BIOS and put CD-ROM as my first priority but, when i start iyt back up it says PC system not supported! Is it possible the recovery disks are outdated?

5. DevonMK

if it is of any help I have a hp pavilion mx 75

and my recovery disks say WinXP Home Edition: hp pavilion home pc

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes the HP discs may be too old. You can purchase a generic Windows XP off-the-shelf disc to get your system back up and running

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.