HP: webOS 2.0 coming to all existing devices

Emil

Staff

Speaking at HP's webOS Developer Day in New York City, developer advocate Josh Marinacci announced that webOS 2.0 would be coming to all previously released webOS devices "in the coming months." That timeline may not be particularly specific, but we're sure Palm fans will be happy to know that they are not being left out in the cold by HP.

Current and future owners of the Pre, Pixi, and Pre Plus will soon be able to upgrade to webOS 2.0, as far as HP concerned. As always, carriers will probably have other plans. The announcement also means that developers targeting webOS will only have to worry about one version, unlike on platforms as fragmented as Android. You can watch the announcement in the video below, as first posted by PreCentral.

Last month, HP officially introduced webOS 2.0, the most significant update to the platform since its launch in 2009, along with the Palm Pre 2, the first device to sport it. Four more webOS 2.0 devices are slated to arrive in early 2011, meaning once the older devices are supported, developers will be able to target eight webOS 2.0 devices in total.

Version 2.0 features Stacks, JustType, as well as Skype and Facebook support. HP also touts "true multitasking," which means you never have to close an app to do something else, and Flash 10.1 beta support in the browser. HP acquired Palm for $1.2 billion and while many thought the company would kill the project, so far it has done the exact opposite.

Permalink to story.

Well I can't wait to get webOS 2 on my pre. I hope the speed is improved because ever since webOS 1.4.5 the pre has been the most sluggish smartphone to date.

Yeah, Im getting sick of my pre for sure. even overclocked to 1ghz...

I didnt really notice it right after 1.4.5 but it sure seems slower than remember.

I like webOS but the pre 2 is a failure I think, anyone know if it was something palm was already working on when HP aquired them, or is HP responsible for that thing?

Back