HP will scan wired to PC but not through router

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Home network setup w/ Linksys WRT110. Can print to HP C5100 from wired desktop or wireless laptop.

If printer is hooked to router, HP scanning software says "Error communicating w/ scanning device."
Shut my FW/AV down & had no effect.

If connect printer to PC w/ USB, scanning software works fine. There's no problem printing over the network, so the printer has an IP address from the router (verified from printer).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are you using the disc that came with the router, or did you download the drivers? If you performed the download, are you certain that you downloaded the correct version.
Sometimes it is simply easier to remove the installation and start fresh.
The LinkSys WRT110 is known for its reliability with our shops and clients.
Since everything else works, I suggest you do a complete removal and reinstall.

Thanks,

I replaced the WRT110 I'd had a few wks w/ same model. Other one wouldn't update firmware. New one has latest ver.

You mention complete removal / reinstall. I find nothing to uninstall regarding the router in XP. Nothing in hardware devices, Add or Remove Hardware, or in Start > Program files. What is the process for removing files / registry entries for this router, or do you just reinstall from mfg's disk?

Thanks. It was odd - when I re ran the Linksys CD, didn't see an option to uninstall previous settings, etc. Forgot to reset router to default w/ reset button before running CD (it couldn't complete install), so had to go back & do over.

Found two options under the Easy Link Advisor? option on CD (not setup / install).
There are 3 options. One is "repair - reinstall everything." Another is "remove all installed features," but doesn't say what features. Do you have to do one befor the other, or which to choose if trying to do a clean install of the router?

Thanks again.

It's because one is a TCP/IP printer port, the other is a USB bi-directional. It's trying to communicate via USB.

If you are able to physically connect your printer with an Ethernet cable to the router, then it should have the capability to connect via Ethernet and not just USB. Otherwise, why would they have an Ethernet port on it? You may need to re-install the printer drivers or go into its set up to enable Ethernet if you have not already done so.

Regarding the linksys uninstall: I have never done the repair/re-install. I always removed everything and then did a fresh install.

It's because they can print via TCP/IP, but I've not seen one scan yet without special programming. Ricoh's can do that, sent to email or a folder on your desktop right from the unit. It's just a royal pain to set it up, especially when you're on a domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back