HPze4610us can't access CMOS, startup, change boot order

By jeffmaggie
Sep 12, 2005
  1. I have 2 identical HP ze4610us notebooks. One of them works fine and the other one
    underwent a clean install last week. The clean install computer is the one with
    the problems. I loaded MS Office, Norton, SP2, all the updates. Everything was
    working perfectly and smoothly and fast until I unplugged it and went into another

Now the notebook won't boot from hard drive or CD-ROM. The CD-ROM will spin for
    about 1 second then stop. The computer just sits there without any audible or visible
    activity. I can turn it off by either removing the battery or holding the Power
    button for 4 seconds.

I can't get past the first screen that says:

(hp invent logo)
    Press ESC to change boot order
    Press <F2> to enter Setup, <F12> to boot from LAN
    Pressing ESC shows:
    PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    Copyright 1985-2001 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    All Rights Reservied
    Build Time: 10/16/03 14:56:09

HP Notebook PC BIOS Version KAM1.50
    Copyright 1997-2002 Hewlett-Packard Co.

BIOS Version KT3B81 T3A
    CPU = mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 2500+
    639K System RAM Passed
    190M Extended RAM Passed
    512K Cache SRAM Passed
    System BIOS shadowed
    Video BIOS shadowed
    Fixed Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK4025GAS
    Mouse initialized
    Pressing <F2> shows:
    Entering Setup...
    (Does not do anything after that)

Pressing <F12> shows:
    Booting From LAN ...
    (Does not do anything after that either)

I have looked all over and tried resetting the computer via the reset hole on the
    underside of the computer, holding the <FN> key while booting, holding the <FN> key
    and F8, all without success.

I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue. Hp tech support charges $99 for
    1 year of phone support, $119 for one year of phone support with hardware repair.
    I'd like not to use HP except as a last resort.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thank you,
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

are you certain the 'top wasn't overheating or subjected to an electical disturbance from the AC adapter (surge/spike)? this could also be caused by a random failure, loose part, or excessive dust. you should explore these possiblilities first.

and yes, the HP tech support is a rip off (not unlike other OEMs i might add)
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

When you did a clean install I suspect you deleted all partitions and formatted.If you did , did you re-install the Hp Setup program on it's own small partition first. before you installed an O/S?
    If no you will have to start again and use the instructions and files from Hp in order to get it going.
  4. 1337+@rd

1337+@rd TS Rookie

Sounds like you got a CMOS problem. You pop er open, pull the CMOS battery and jumper, and viola. Resets the CMOS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.