HTC 10 Review: An impressive return to form for HTC

Scorpus

Staff member

HTC was once a powerful force in the phone market. The One M7 in particular was one of my favorite handsets of the time. But over the last two years HTC has lost significant ground, releasing a collection of uninspiring mid-range devices and flagships that failed to compete with the big guns of Samsung, Apple and LG.

The HTC 10 marks the start of a new chapter for HTC. The company listened to user feedback – particularly surrounding the disappointing One M9 – to craft an entirely new, high-end device with a competitive and fresh set of features. If there’s any recent product from HTC that could make the company relevant again in the smartphone space, it’s this one.

The signature metal body of past HTC smartphones has returned, complete with new additions like a fingerprint scanner and USB Type-C. The camera, a problem area for HTC’s past devices, has been completely overhauled in the HTC 10 with a new 12-megapixel sensor, a wide f/1.8 lens, and optical image stabilization. Plus we’re seeing welcome iterations such as a new 5.2-inch 1440p LCD and a Snapdragon 820 SoC.

Read the complete review.

Closely resembles a mix between an iPhone and a Galaxy S device on the front and bottom edge. And that battery life should of been more of a priority. Quick charging is cool, but not if you're using it so often. Especially if it's used to play games. Good job HTC, but you're not there yet.

I never understood the rounded back. No one's palm ever touches a phone. And it just makes it rock from side to side when set down.

The phone sure looks nice, and I love that the skin doesnt go and replace everything, but for the price (which is $700, since the writers could only be bothered to say it was $50 more than the s7) the battery life simply doesnt hold up. Considering the battery isnt removable, I would have liked to see usage around the s6 active for that price.

Is HTC at least good about updates, compared to the other OEMs?

[insert my regular comment for phones that don't have both the microSD card slot and removable battery]

Good review! Just ordered an HTC 10 through T-Mobile to replace my AT&T HTC One M7 which is getting a bit old. I hope that the HTC 10 will last me three years like the One M7 did. I look forward to the better camera.

As an current owner of the HTC One M8, this new one from HTC looks pretty good. However, it is a shame they really didn't improve the camera enough still, not to mention they took away the awesome sound system my model has. What gives HTC? Why did you do this????

They are extremely good with updates. I have the m7 (the original sub-model of the m7 line) and I just got a major (what I presume to be security) update last week. It came with Android 4.5 I believe, but over the years I've been upgraded to 5.0.2. Out of all the OEMs, they are the best about keeping their hardware up-to-date with the latest software. The only Android phones that are better with their updates are Nexus phones.

They are extremely good with updates. I have the m7 (the original sub-model of the m7 line) and I just got a major (what I presume to be security) update last week. It came with Android 4.5 I believe, but over the years I've been upgraded to 5.0.2. Out of all the OEMs, they are the best about keeping their hardware up-to-date with the latest software. The only Android phones that are better with their updates are Nexus phones.
That's not that impressive, IMO. The nexus 5 came out with 4.4.2, and currently has 6.0.1, but was released months after the M7.

Impressive, to me, is running the latest up to date android within a month or two of the OS coming out. 6 months at most. Not that it matters, since $700 for a phone with a sealed battery is simply too much.

Until battery life is notably improved I won't be changing my phone for some time to come. I think the smartphone market is stagnating some what.

Back