HTC One M9 is official, bringing evolutionary refinement to the same formula

Julio Franco

Staff member

htc android mwc smartphone htc one mwc 2015 htc one m9

HTC was one of the first to launch a flagship Android smartphone last year and as testament of how good the One M8 was, it still made the list of the best Android phones in the market by year's end.

The new HTC One M9 is now official and it's not a radical redesign but an evolutionary refinement of the same metal unibody formula, boasting of a thinner profile and improved camera (One M8's lowest point) running on top of Android 5.0 Lollipop.

Announced at Mobile World Congress, the One M9 is powered by a Snapdragon 810 octa-core SoC running at 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 32/64GB of internal storage expandable via microSD, and the same BoomSound speakers that people loved in the previous-gen One. The 4 megapixel 'UltraPixel' camera has been replaced by a 20-megapixel rear facing camera that slightly protrudes on the back.

The new HTC One M9 is not a radical redesign but an evolutionary refinement of the same metal unibody formula

The shape of the M9 is seemingly identical to the M8, but upon closer inspection it's been made easier to grip, has sharper edges, and the back is not as slippery as before. The power button has been relocated to the side which is arguably the better placement for a large 5-inch handset.

The One M9 keeps the display at 5 inches and 1080p resolution, quite possibly a good thing if you want a balanced smartphone. HTC has managed to fit a slightly larger battery rated at 2,840 mAh with support for Quick Charging.

Android 5.0 has been customized with HTC Sense 7, and while generally these OS modifications add more inconsistency than anything else to Android, Sense 7 has been favored so far by those who have briefly used the phone for its lack of bloat and added personalization.

HTC also announced some accesories for the new M9. A second generation Dot View case that combines a cover with clever through-the-case notifications. The M9 is not waterproof out of the box but an IP68 water resistant Active Case and Active Headset will also be available for purchase.

The new HTC One will be available in the U.S. from all four major carriers and other retailers by the end of March. No official word on pricing yet, but a leak from Best Buy earlier today suggested the One M9 would cost $649.99 off-contract, which would put it at $199 from a carrier with a two-year commitment.

Permalink to story.

If the previous version was any indication, this new one is a very solid product, perhaps the best take on the Android for anyone on iOS and contemplating the move. I'm personally one of them. But for existing M8 users it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade.

I've played with my friend's M8, and I liked the look and feel of it a lot, so I would definitely consider getting the new M9.

Looking forward to full reviews, to see how it compares to the competition in terms of battery life, the camera and the screen quality.

P.S. Everybody knows why this came out today, it's because Galaxy S6 is to be announced today. Big day, huh :)

N.B. 40 min till Galaxy S6 announcement :)

Last edited:
Glad to see they upgraded the camera, CPU wasn't all that crucial, most cr'apps don't use much processing power, but evolution is what it is. Funny how they kept the design pretty much identical to the M8, hopefully that can offset the price and make it a more affordable contender. Guess we'll have to wait till the M10 for a redesign, higher res screen, ect.

Worth noting the "Snapdragon 810 octa-core SoC running at 2GHz" is not a true Octa-core running at 2.0GHz, it's really two quad core chips a Cortex A57 2.0GHz and a Cortex A53 1.5GHz. Interested to see how this affects performance, my suspicions are it'll be a hardly noticeable compared to the current flagships.

M9 looks nicer than the galaxy S6 imo. SD card slot in this one + nice camera, nice speakers, and a bigger battery with similar processor and ram might have me sold.

If the previous version was any indication, this new one is a very solid product, perhaps the best take on the Android for anyone on iOS and contemplating the move. I'm personally one of them. But for existing M8 users it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade.

I've played with my friend's M8, and I liked the look and feel of it a lot, so I would definitely consider getting the new M9.

Looking forward to full reviews, to see how it compares to the competition in terms of battery life, the camera and the screen quality.

P.S. Everybody knows why this came out today, it's because Galaxy S6 is to be announced today. Big day, huh :)

N.B. 40 min till Galaxy S6 announcement :)
The new S6 is also looking like a very nice device so far but we'll probably have to wait till next month to read the reviews about them all.

I am trying my best to see the design differences between M8 and M9 :(

I can't see the revlation in there..
They reminds me of Apple (BTW I'm an iPhone6 plus owner), but well I'll wait for The LG G4 <3

Back