HTC One M9 Review: Solid Evolution

Scorpus

Staff member

If you confuse the brand new HTC One M9 for last year’s M8, you’re not alone: the metal unibody design of the M9 is remarkably similar to what we saw in the previous generation. Many of the device’s features will also seem familiar, including the 5.0-inch 1080p Super LCD 3 display, BoomSound speaker array, and heavily-customized Android software.

HTC’s signature metal body, used once again in the One M9, looks absolutely fantastic. The two-tone, two-finish design adds an extra bit of flare to the well-crafted, premium build, making this phone one of the most attractive on the market today. The small rim that runs around the edges does make the M9 feel less seamless than the M8, though it’s now easier to hold and operate.

Read the complete review.

This review has almost the exact opposite opinion as AnandTech did. The graphs and results for your test are also different... What the heck is going on? AnandTech says the display for the one m9 is WORSE than the m8 that they have in all accounts, and the battery life is also worse in all accounts. I don't know if you guys have read their article? But it looks like they've done more testing, and seem to have a more accurate review.

This review has almost the exact opposite opinion as AnandTech did. The graphs and results for your test are also different... What the heck is going on? AnandTech says the display for the one m9 is WORSE than the m8 that they have in all accounts, and the battery life is also worse in all accounts. I don't know if you guys have read their article? But it looks like they've done more testing, and seem to have a more accurate review.

Unfortunately I don't have a colorimeter to directly test both displays, but to my eyes they looked similar. As for battery life, if you actually looked at my review, it is slightly worse than the M8. I don't run the exact same tests as Anand, which will explain discrepancies there. Also, I haven't finished all the battery testing just yet.

Either way, I did not state that battery life or the display was better in the M9. My conclusion states that both these areas are average, and therefore slightly disappoiting.

Edit: looked at their review. I agree that the accuracy isn't great (as I said) though I can't honestly say I noticed the other issues. Especially white temperature, which didn't seem blue in my review unit like their graphs portray. Again, I don't have a colorimeter, and visually both panels seemed similar

Last edited:
Great thorough review. I've checked out a few more reviews and across the board the conclusion is that software and design are great, some like the updated camera while others keep praising the iPhone, Xperias or the upcoming Galaxy S6. All in all, a solid phone but it will have a problem standing on its two feet for as long as the M8 did since the competition appears to have iterated, too, and made a bigger jump while at it.

Unfortunately for HTC, it looks like the M9 won't be the hit they needed. I was really hoping they would knock it out of the park with this one :D.

I read in other reviews the camera is miles behind any competition.

This is hardly an evolution, more like the opposite, version of M8 built for less money. Certainly not a high-end smartphone any more.

M8 seemed better than Galaxy S5, while Galaxy S6 seems to put M9 to shame in every criteria.

I was all gung-ho about the M9, but with everything coming out I can care less now since it's not all that different from my M8.

Out of curiosity, did anyone really have a problem with the power button at the top?

I first heard about it (customer opinions) when these reviews were coming out that people didn't like it there. However, everyone I know who owns the M8 actually prefers it at the top as well as me since I hold my phone with my finger at the top in addition to the left+right (better gripping).

I read in other reviews the camera is miles behind any competition.

I wouldn't say it's miles behind, it's better than the Moto X 2014 camera and better than low-end cameras, but well behind the iPhone 6/6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6, LG G3, etc.

What a disappointment... for three years they put out same design with minor modifications, not only that but never reducing the huge footprint of it. That phone is huge for a 5-inch. And before the HTC police comes, just look how small the bezels are on the Xperia Z3 that's also got front facing speakers. For three years they put out a phone that has mediocre camera when compared to the other flagships. It's going to be a hard 2015 for HTC.

It's a nice phone. I'm sure those who buy it will be overjoyed with it and that's all that really counts when all is said and done.

Battery life results on LTE are up, and the One M9 lasts just under two hours less than the One M8, which is pretty disappointing to be honest.

Battery life results on LTE are up, and the One M9 lasts just under two hours less than the One M8, which is pretty disappointing to be honest.
Well, I have an M7 so it would still be a significant jump for me, but getting an M8 cheap after the M9 comes out might be a more worthwhile upgrade all things considered. =/

Well, I have an M7 so it would still be a significant jump for me, but getting an M8 cheap after the M9 comes out might be a more worthwhile upgrade all things considered. =/
I have an M8 and think I will keep it. Before the M8 received the Android 5.0 upgrade, it was painfully slow, and I was ready to ditch it for an M9, but once I got the upgrade installed, it was like a new phone, everything was so much more snappy. Considering that the M9 isn't a great leap forward, I would suggest getting the M8 if you want to stay with HTC because of the now reduced cost. I do love the One line of phones because of their premium feel and quality, hopefully if there is an M10 it will be more in line with the competition.

What is this Maple Flavored Syrup you take pictures of, you should try the real stuff, much better. How much would it cost to send you some from Canada? Indisputably the best source of the real stuff. Maybe send me some of the Vegemite, never tried it before, kinda curious.

Oh yeah, Phone review, uh, Nice phone, would of like to see a little bit more done to keep it in flagship territory, the S6 still has it, time to wait and see what LG does with the G4.

Worse battery (despite being larger) than the M8 and a downgraded display vs the M8. This phone is a dud.

What is this Maple Flavored Syrup you take pictures of, you should try the real stuff, much better. How much would it cost to send you some from Canada? Indisputably the best source of the real stuff. Maybe send me some of the Vegemite, never tried it before, kinda curious.

Oh yeah, Phone review, uh, Nice phone, would of like to see a little bit more done to keep it in flagship territory, the S6 still has it, time to wait and see what LG does with the G4.

Just remember Vegemite needs to be spread very thin ... tread lightly now.

This is the most accurate review of HTC one m9 I found online. especially the last section of the article 'Who is it for?' I would recommend everyone to read this one before buying M9. I don't know why everyone complaining about the processor of it, I have M9 and it works perfectly for me. Thanks for the Article.

Back