TechSpot

HTC predicts first ever quarterly loss, despite strong HTC One sales

By Scorpus
Jul 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. HTC is expecting to post their first ever quarterly loss when it releases their earning figures for Q3 2013, with forecasted revenues in the range of NT$50 billion to NT$60 billion (US$1.7-2.0 billion), down from this quarter's NT$70.7 billion (US$2.3 billion). This...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,066   +704

It seems like HTC is just too small to compete with Apple and Samsung. Last year they were sued by Apple for Android patent infringement and their HTC One X was held up in customs for like 6 weeks. By the time it got through the Galaxy S3 had arrived complete with a huge marketing campaign. The S3 was just as guilty as the One X, but Samsung had the lawyers to defend it so Apple went after HTC.

Next comes the HTC One, which has gotten excellent reviews by every website who's touched one, but again they can't complete with Samsung who's got an S4 ad on everything from billboards to youtube to TV. HTC even had the One ready to sell before the S4, but they faced last minute delays and ended up only getting out a week or two before the S4.

It's too bad HTC can't afford to heavily market the One... they'd sell a lot more of them.
    Chazz likes this.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

MilwaukeeMike have you considered that the S4 is actually better then the HTC One. I mean HTC is pretty nice but I would rather get the S4, I have played with both of them.
  4. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

I'd rather get the HTC ONE for sure. It's an awesome phone, sadly.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,066   +704

I bought an HTC One, and I chose very carefully between that and the S4. After reading multiple comparisons online and many reviews on both I can say with confidence that 'better' is completely subjective. Each phone has it's ups and downs, and both are good enough that no owner of either is going to complain. However, I'd bet there are more HTC One owners who know about the features of the S4 than there are S4 owners who know about the features of the One.

I've said it on here before... if you use your camera a lot do not buy an S4 until you see how the One can turn your videos and pictures into a highlight video with no work at all. For some reason this feature isn't on a commercial anywhere, and I think HTC totally dropped the ball on marketing it.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

"Chou wants HTC to be "a strong player in the high-end segment".
    There's nothing wrong with that apart from the fact it's a pretty limited market and eveyones a player. Appealing to the broad masses is a far better strategy imo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.