HTC unveils One Max, packs 5.9" display and fingerprint scanner

Scorpus

Staff member

The device has seen a fair share of leaks over the past few months, and now it's official: HTC has unveiled the One Max. Straddling the line between phone and tablet, the Max features a 5.9-inch 1080p LCD display and a plastic-aluminium design similar to the HTC One mini, albeit with a removable back cover.

htc max android smartphone phablet one one max

Internally the specifications of the One Max are identical to the One: the handset comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 SoC, with a 1.7 GHz quad-core Krait 300 CPU, Adreno 320 GPU, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Blutetooth 4.0, and GNSS on-board. There's also 2 GB of RAM, and LTE modem, 16/32 GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot, and a 12.5 Wh (3,300 mAh) battery.

Interestingly, the One Max includes the same 'Ultrapixel' camera as the One, with a 4-megapixel sensor and f/2.0 lens, although optical image stabilization is missing. There's also BoomSound, like previous HTC devices, but without Beats Audio due to the companies parting ways, and overall the device weighs 217 grams and comes in at 10.3mm thick.

One of the key aspects of the One Max is the rear fingerprint scanner, as well as a revised Sense 5.5 skin atop Android 4.3. For the first time you'll be able to disable BlinkFeed from your homescreens, although the news aggregation service has received considerable enhancements that may warrant keeping it on your handset.

The One Max is set to be available after tomorrow's launch event in Europe and Asia, with United States customers likely having to wait until November to get their hands on HTC's latest large-screened handset.

Permalink to story.

5.9"... Why didn't they just make it 6" and call it quits? But whether it's 5,9" or 6" you're still gonna need a backpack to tote it comfortably about.

Now that HTC have parted ways with Beats do they provide an equivalent decent pair of headphones? My Beats headphones that came with my HTC phone are still going strong despite rough treatment and the contract close to ending. In contrast my daughter has gone through countless iPhone earbuds and other headphones in the same time.

Sammy smashes it on CPU, GPU, MicroUSB 3.0, RAM, not sure about camera - 13MP vs 4MP so on pixel count Sammy wins but I don't know what HTC has done to make the "ultrapixel" claim.

Disappointed in HTC and Sony. Sony released the Xperia Z Ultra with Android 4.2 (TRIM support so less performance degradation as the phone ages) and MicroUSB 2.0 which meant it was DOA for me. Sammy wins again imo.

5.9"... Why didn't they just make it 6" and call it quits? But whether it's 5,9" or 6" you're still gonna need a backpack to tote it comfortably about.

Not true. I just saw the Xperia Z Ultra 6.4 inch screen with unnecessary bezels and it still fit in my dress pants pocket with room. My 5.7" Note 3 fits very comfortably day to day...

Back