Html files cannot be opened with Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

On Windows SP2, I think since the SP2 update, .html files are not opened (if clicked) by Explorer, but by Word. If I try Open with ..., Explorer is not even listed among the programs available. If I browse and select Explorer from its location and click open, nothing happens.

The only way to open .html files is to start up Explorer first, and then with browse select the file to open.

This is the case with *all* html files, old or new, even saved with Explorer.

.vrml files are associated with Explorer OK, in their case the icon is shown and they open automatically with Explorer.

Any idea how to get .html files associated with Explorer?
Or cure Explorer?

Thanks,

Zsofi

Do you mean explorer.exe or Iexplore.exe (aka Internet Explorer)?

Welcom to Techspot :hotbounce , BTW!

Spike said:
Do you mean explorer.exe or Iexplore.exe (aka Internet Explorer)?

Welcom to Techspot :hotbounce , BTW!

It is Iexplore.exe.

Thanks for the welcome - hope to get some help at this lively forum :) .

Best,

Zsofi

search for any file on your PC with the extension .htm or .html
In Windows Explorer, rightclick on that file, select "open with", and select Internet Explorer, click "always open..." and then OK. Repeat for both.
Then d/l and install Firefox from www.getfirefox.com.
From this moment forward, NEVER EVER use IE again , other than for updating Windoze!

The problem is that when right-clicked on a .html and choose Open with ..., I **do not ** get IE in the list of programs to use, only IE Crash Detection... If I select IE by browsing all programs, nothing happens.

What do you mean NEVER EVER use IE again - I do need it (or older version) because of a plug-in (blaxxun) plus other in-house stuff does not work with other browsers :(

You could always try to do a "repair" or a re-install of IE.

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools/Folder Options/File Types.
Scroll down to HTM or HTML. Highlight it, then click Change. If IE is not listed (either under Internet Explorer or MS IE or whatever, click on "Other...". Then browse to \Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and click on IEXPLORE.EXE. Repeat for all HTM, HTML and any other type you may need.

My warning against IE is that it is "hole-ier" than a Swiss Emmental cheese, prone to virus- and other attacks. Firefox is much safer.

Victory over IE!!! Your advice worked. The only thing is that I could not get the icons back to beloved IE icon.

You saved me a system re-install. BTW, our technical assistant said one cannot re-install IE alone, but the entire XP. Are they wrong (just for the future).

But if you have had enough of IE, is fine, you made my day already, many thanks, Addict.

Zsofi

On the issue of re-installing/reparing Internet Explorer, Microsoft has the following to say...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

It used to be just a simple case of going to add/remove programs and removing Internet Exlporer, which set the repair in motion. This no longer seems to be the case.

On the subject of the IE icon, from the explorer.exe window, have you tried Tools -> folder options -> File Types -> select HTM/HTML from the list -> Advanced -> Change Icon -> Browse for *:/program files/internet explorer/Iexplore.exe -> Select desired IE icon -> OK -> Close.

Hopefully this will bring back the Internet explorer icon, if you really want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back