HTML5 replaces Flash as default player on YouTube

By Shawn Knight
Jan 28, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. HTML5 is now the default setting for video playback on YouTube when using Chrome, IE 11, Safari 8 and beta versions of Firefox. If you needed any more evidence to support the claim that Flash is dead, it doesn't get...

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Starting with which version of Firefox?
  3. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 812   +382

Very good news! Now we only have Java to deal with.
  4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,318   +262

Commercial use, both in various appliances of different genres as well as 1st party software will keep it long relevant and most damningly, vulnerable. Because of the manufacturer's terrible programmers, we're still stuck using Java 6.20 < 6.45 if we want the ~least~ buggy rendering of their software. Technically it works on 7.25 < 7.50 but the interface is glitchy at best, and simply fails to start beyond that. =/
  5. Great, less plugins to update and care about :)
  6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +590

Pretty big kick in the face to Adobe, even though it was freeware its still another entity of business that helped their overall business model.
  7. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 343   +101

35 has support for HTML5 (need to visit /html5 part of YouTube), 36 is the latest in beta and 38 is the latest nightly build. There's better support in the beta. I've found if I paused any HTML5 videos it locks up randomly, so I went back to flash for now. (Using Firefox 35 now, was using 34 previously)
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,798   +483

it should come out with version 36 if all the bugs are ironed out (if not, then 37 for sure)
  9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +90

Actually when they bought Macromedia the first think I was hoping for was for them to dump flash.
  10. HTML5 is hysterically PC incompatible. Working on 10 video from 100 maybe, Flash 50 or more.
  11. Dustyn

Dustyn TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +11

Tell me more...
  12. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 343   +101

I'd like to know also. I only found it's kinda buggy, depending on browser. Mostly prefer Firefox but.. it's kinda slow to the HTML5 party, and often locked up on videos when pausing / unpausing. Other than that it's pretty nice, I'm hoping to see it rolled out sooner or later with better support.
  13. HTML5 radically faster than flash its not question but so buggy,
    Youtube tell for latest flash beta from adobe labs is outdated please update.
    So its Google as always.
  14. cliffordcooley

Translator please.
  15. This is bullshit! Now I've gotta upgrade all my computers just to run the damned site...
  16. cliffordcooley

Someone only visits Youtube with outdated devices.
  17. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 158   +26

Adobe sealed the flash format's fate when they decided to stop support mobile devices. Apparently they wanted this to happen.
  18. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

What happened in this thread? So many incoherent comments.

19. ITdan

ITdan TS Rookie

Amen. With todays increasingly mobile web, particularly for entertainment platforms and such as Youtube, mobile device compliance is key. Google owns Youtube, and when Adobe dropped formal flash support in all the Linux derivatives including Android, they essentially gave Google the finger. They also gave them business, since Google's browsers were capable of HTML5 access to YouTube already, it gave incentive for people on non-Windows devices to switch to a Chrome flavor.
  20. loading

loading TS Enthusiast Posts: 63   +13

Hmm... the article left out a bit of important information. HTML5 has DRM built in through Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).

I guess we'll all see how HTML5 pans out.
  21. DAOWAce

DAOWAce TS Booster Posts: 247   +30

"YouTube has actually supported HTML5 for years"

And Mozilla never bothered to have proper support for it all this time; instead rushing to support it when it finally became standard, and it's still not out in the stable build yet.

I won't use anything else but Firefox (or at this point, Palemoon, since Australis is god awful and I'm still running v28 because of it), but Mozilla really have been on a downward spiral for a long time now.
  22. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

The capability perhaps... but your statement is a half-truth trolling for someone to argue with you. This might be all you get.