HTTP error 403 when try to download

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeChuck

I have the following config:
-Internet Explorer 6 on WinXP SP2;
-Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro;
-ZoneAlarm Pro.

I've recently installed an internet connection at home and everything seems just fine, but I've discovered that when I try to download anything I get that nasty HTTP error 403 (forbiden etc). I don't know what's causing this, probably I didn't set something right.

Can you help me? I can't even download from my own webpage :D...
Thanks

Possibilities -

"1)One possible cause is an Internet Explorer 6 update installed by Windows Update. Some users found that this problem could be resolved by changing an Internet Explorer setting:

In Internet Explorer, from the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Browsing, clear the checkbox for Show friendly HTTP error messages.
Click OK.
Restart the Internet Explorer browser.

If this problem persists after changing this setting and restarting your browser, it may be caused by spyware or deceptive software on your computer."

From HERE

2)Try using a better browser like FIREFOX or OPERA If they work,it`s an IE problem.

3)Your not a nice person and nobody wants you.Not even your own site.

4)Many more ideas HERE

...Under Browsing, clear the checkbox for Show friendly HTTP error messages...

Ok, I did that and also installed Opera. Now both browsers show me the "This object has been blocked." message when I try to dowload a zip file, for example. I don't see any pop-up blocker being active or something so... who's blocking it?

[Edit] I read that link you gave me before posting, but I don't see anything that would match my problem :(

Have you tried accessing the sites from another computer/setup ?

Have you just changed service providers/web hosts ?

Try deleting all temp files/cookies.Use CCleaner.

Is your system free of spyware ?

Look in the Hosts file,for anything named "I`m a baddie"

I dunno.

It seems that all I had to do was to go to ZoneAlarms's Control Panel > Privacy > Main Tab and turn OFF Mobile Code Control :)

I don't wanna be rude, but people should reply to a question only if they know the answer, ok?

PS: I've just seen Doom, the movie: realy awsome!!! :D

I don't wanna be rude, but people should reply to a question only if they know the answer, ok?

Your problem could`ve been caused by what Peddant said, as the article he linked you to plainly said. The HTTP 403 forbidden error has many possible causes, and we are not psychic.

It`a very difficult to diagnose a problem straight away, as we rely heavily on the information that is provided. Not to mention it`s damn difficult when we can`t actually see your computer.

If you want concrete answers straight away. I suggest you pay for professional tech support.

howard_hopkinso said:
The HTTP 403 forbidden error has many possible causes, and we are not psychic.
The HTTP 403 reply is a SERVER side issue, not a client/browser issue so leave
your browser/firewall settings alone.

HTTP access to a specific directory requires permissions 755 on the directory
and 644 on the specific file. Your ISP interface needs to not only give you
FTP access, but some means to set the permissions.

sample interface for setting permissions

see attached

Attachments

• set-http-perms.jpg
    set-http-perms.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
Hey, I know to take a joke, but I don't realy think that
3)Your not a nice person and nobody wants you. Not even your own site.
was very helpful :D

Especially when I got the answer from another forum, in one single reply, based on the same configuration that I displayed here... So, lucky for me, there's no need for that expensive "pay for professional tech support" (as if ever was...).

All feedback is welcome on this site,even if it`s bad.
We try to improve our services all the time.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back